Questions about a step in vacuum forming.

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

CB2001

Questions about a step in vacuum forming.

Post by CB2001 »

I have a couple of quick questions about one step in vacuum forming. I know that when it comes to vacuum forming, you need to head up plastic before using a vacuum form table to make what you need. Now, I live an in apartment with an electric oven, but I fear of using it to heat up the sheet of plastic for vacuum forming. I'm wondering, is it possible to just use a heat gun to heat up the sheet while you are vacuum forming or do you really need to use an electric oven? What's the detail difference between using a heat gun or an electric oven?
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

In my experience a heat gun doesn't provide even enough heat, so when you're heating up one section the last section you heated is starting to cool...

But if it's only like a 6" square it would work. Larger and I'd use an oven. As long as you control the heat there's nothing to worry about.

-Rog
CB2001

Post by CB2001 »

Okie dokie. Thanks for the info. :)
Wug

Post by Wug »

If you're not doing big pieces, You can use a toaster oven.

If you don't need one immediately, check yard sales. I think I paid four bucks for mine.

Mike
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

When I worked for Kenner we had a gigantic vac machine that would do it all for you. However we also had some small table we used for pulling things and we would use a heat gun and go as large as 18" or so with the heat gun. The key is even heating with the gun. it's tricky until you get used to it then it is a breeze. the really nice thing about the gun is once you have the sheet pulled (while it is hot and the vac is still on) you can nudge things by softening areas that are not seating fully.

Either way, the plastic is gonna fume cause you are heating it to nearly it's melting point.

Cheers,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
CB2001

Post by CB2001 »

Mark Yungblut wrote:When I worked for Kenner we had a gigantic vac machine that would do it all for you. However we also had some small table we used for pulling things and we would use a heat gun and go as large as 18" or so with the heat gun. The key is even heating with the gun. it's tricky until you get used to it then it is a breeze. the really nice thing about the gun is once you have the sheet pulled (while it is hot and the vac is still on) you can nudge things by softening areas that are not seating fully.

Either way, the plastic is gonna fume cause you are heating it to nearly it's melting point.

Cheers,

Mark
Thanks for the heads up, Mark. :D