Calm Chrome

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Gauge

Calm Chrome

Post by Gauge »

I'm finishing up on a Polar Lights Delorean. Ive read on other threads that you cant remove the chrome finish from the body. I want to dull it down but I dont want to make it look dirty. The washes I've tried seem to bead up on the stupid chrome finish. I'm looking for subtlety.

Thanks for any advice.

G.
"There's only ONE ~'Return'~,.. and its NOT ~'Of The King'~... its ~'Of The Jedi'~.
Confucius 479 B.C.E
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Assuming this is the standard chrome finish that most car model kits have, I would use a Scotchbrite pad on it. That would dull it and also give the brushed stainless steel look that it should have anyway...

-Rog
Gauge

Post by Gauge »

Thanks Rog
I'll try that. It seems like common sense, something I guess I don't have. :P :P
"There's only ONE ~'Return'~,.. and its NOT ~'Of The King'~... its ~'Of The Jedi'~.
Confucius 479 B.C.E
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I only mention it because Scotchbrite seems to do things that sandpaper can't. If a regular green one doesn't work, I'd look for a coarse pad at an auto paint supply place. I forget if it's the dark red or gray, but one of those, also made by 3M. If you can't scuff the surface at all then I'd like to have every surface accessable to babies and toddlers in my house plated in the stuff.

Also, this person apparently had luck with priming and repainting.

I think the finish is fine myself, it just needs a scuffing.

-Rog