Wash on a shiny surface

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Gauge

Wash on a shiny surface

Post by Gauge »

Im working on a 1/6 C3PO. Hes all together and painted a nice shiny gold. I want to weather him like in ANH but my washes all seem to bead up on his shiny paint. Any ideas?
Thanks
"There's only ONE ~'Return'~,.. and its NOT ~'Of The King'~... its ~'Of The Jedi'~.
Confucius 479 B.C.E
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

Difficult! I've had similar problems with gloss painted aircraft. Great if you want to get paint to flow through panel lines but awful if you want a wash effect.

You can try using a wetting agent/surfactant mixed with an acyrlic or other water bsderd paint to improve the spreading.

Or you could try spraying the glossy gold with a matt finish and then washing.

Or you could try very lightly wet sanding the finish or use a lightly abrasive cloth to dull the finish and help avoid the beading effect.
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

What kind of wash are you using? If aqueous, you may get good results from a wetting agent aka surfactant. I use Liquitex's Flo-aid but you can use a little dish soap - Flo-aid doesn't foam, so I like it better.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I would go with the matte spray suggestion if you're going for the "dirty" look. You just have to clean up any mistakes quickly though. You can also drybrush some on and use pastels too.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?