Tamiya Acrylics

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DanDan

Tamiya Acrylics

Post by DanDan »

I am working on a enterprise d model which is my first model for a long time. I am gonna use a airbrush and I have read about various ways of painting the model and plan to paint then decal then dullcoat. My question is i have matt and gloss paints and wondered if it makes any difference with matt and gloss if i use a clear gloss after painting but before decals. Will the different matts and acrylics show through after a gloss coat? Is it best to use one or the other? If anyone could help out or explain what process they use it would be appreciated as i wanna get this model right.

Thanks

Dan
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

In my experience it takes more coats of clear gloss to make flat paints appear as glossy as their gloss counterparts.

I've done it when the color(s) I want are not all available as flats or gloss, just takes a little more work on the clear gloss end. I prefer to use paints that are all the same sheen, but if you don't have any choice, you'll have to make do with what you have.

Be careful when spraying flat paints over glossy ones, I've had problems in the past with the flat paints cracking, I think that was due to a too heavy coat.

Ken
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

Yep. I use flat Tamiya acrylic paints for all of my color work, and then finish off with the appropriate sheen clear lacquer.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
redfinger

Re: Tamiya Acrylics

Post by redfinger »

DanDan wrote:I am working on a enterprise d model which is my first model for a long time. I am gonna use a airbrush and I have read about various ways of painting the model and plan to paint then decal then dullcoat. My question is i have matt and gloss paints and wondered if it makes any difference with matt and gloss if i use a clear gloss after painting but before decals. Will the different matts and acrylics show through after a gloss coat? Is it best to use one or the other? If anyone could help out or explain what process they use it would be appreciated as i wanna get this model right.

Thanks

Dan
here is the process I use and I love it, I have had great results every time!

I found that painting, then glossing(for decals) then glossing again(to level out decals) then matte coating added to many coasts and I wasnt getting a accetable fisnish on the scale I was painting, too many coats, and detail would get lost, or panel lines filled, ect....

So I stopped using Tamyia and started using Vallejo acrylics. I mix my paint w/ straight future, this give the paint enough of a gloss that decals work great on them. Then I add a shot or two of future to level out the decals, then my matte coat. I have been very pleased w/ my results thus far.

Persoanlly I find the vallejo paints to have much better coverage, and a smoother finish when properly thinned down and applied via airbrush....hell even for reagular brush painting the stuff is great! I never really did liek the tamyia stuff, I try to avoid it if I can.

Ashton
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

thanks for the tips people, very helpfil indeed. Thanks redfinger i will look into the paints u recommended. What is the future u mention using?
jdeleonardis

Post by jdeleonardis »

Future is a clear floor wax, believe it or not. Its actually Pledge with Future Shine. Dont let the name fool you - its really not wax, but a hard acrylic finish.

http://www.floorcareproducts.com/floor-finish/index.asp

Hey redfinger, what percentages do you use with vallejo and future? What ratio paint to future?
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

And as I understand it - Klear (The non-US version) is being replaced with a different formula. You'd better keep an eye out for it at grocery stores and buy it when you can!

Kev
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

excellent, thanks for all the help, i have found the uk version and will get some asap. So do u just apply the future as is, no dilluting etc with a airbrush? And as jdeleonardis asked what ratio's of paint to future do people use.

Dan
redfinger

Post by redfinger »

jdeleonardis wrote:Future is a clear floor wax, believe it or not. Its actually Pledge with Future Shine. Dont let the name fool you - its really not wax, but a hard acrylic finish.

http://www.floorcareproducts.com/floor-finish/index.asp

Hey redfinger, what percentages do you use with vallejo and future? What ratio paint to future?
depends, you kinda got to get a feel for it. BUt I would say for airbrushing it is pretty close to a 1 to 1 and for brush painting 3 paint to 1 future.

Ashton
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

And remember to clean the airbrush with an ammonia-based cleaner as soon as you are done. You don't - really don't - want to forget that step. :shock:
________
Joe Brown