Noob Question Re: Lighting & Build Process

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Leif_G

Noob Question Re: Lighting & Build Process

Post by Leif_G »

I've lit a few models in the past, but we're talking 1970's here... when I was 10-13 yrs old. I'm re-discovering model building again after many years away from the hobby. In the old days, fibre optics were ultra pricy and hard to find. LEDs were almost a foreign concept. Except that my wristwatch at the time was LED. Lol. So I used tiny bulbs. like the once that came with the first MPC Millennium Falcon kit. Now I want to get up to date and learn to do some lighting the proper way.

I decided that among my first builds, I'm going to build and light a Revell Viper. From my reading so far, I'd like to try lighting the instrument panels with EL sheets, the three engines with blue LEDs. I'm also going to try something special with the light strips on the Viper Pilot's helmet, which might require a single white/yellow LED and some stressed fibre.

But I don't know much about electronics yet. So there's some uncertainty around exactly how I am going to power the lights, and the circuits needed to do so.

What I do know is that I would love to have all of the wiring exit the model through a tube-like stand and go into a base, which would house the needed power source (preferably an AC adapter connection) and switch.

Is it do-able to start the build with some uncertainty about the completion of the electronics? For instance, could I safely build the EL sheets and LEDS into the model (testing them as working), with wiring hanging out, and count on being able to finish the electronics afterward?

Also, is there a good source for a nice stand and tube style base around; one that can accomodate an AC adapter & switch?

Leif
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Just a suggestion: you might want to light everything with LEDs, just to keep the power requirements simple. Throwing in EL sheet means adding a high voltage power supply to run it - 110 VAC or so.

You can use rectangular LEDs to back up the instrument panels - glue the transparent panels to the LEDs. There are lots of varieties of LED "Light Bars" available from JAMECO (www.jameco.com) that can be filed to shape.
.350 x .150 (2) and (4)
.350 x .350 (1)
.750 x .150 (1)
.350 x .750 (1)
in red, green, orange, or yellow

The numbers in parens (4) indicate the number of separate lightable segments per larger unit.

For a base, you can use a pastic box (also from Jameco) a length of brass tube sticking up, and a plug and jack set on top of that for connecting stereo headphones to allow removal of the model for travelling.
Where there's a Will....there's Probate.
TShark

Post by TShark »

Leif,

I too have just re-discovered model building after 30 years and used to light my model kits. The hobby has come a long way from "grain of wheat bulbs", one or two sizes of fiber optics, and transistors!

I read several of the tutorials on this website along with searching the forums and found several helpful places to start.

My "re-discovery" project is a Starblazers Yamato (a.k.a Argo) battleship.

I would recommend starting with the "Delux 8-LED fiber optic kit" from the SSM store: http://www.starshipmodeler.com/newshop/ ... uct_ID=513

I also ordered the fiber optic sample kit at: http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Kits.htm

Last, I ordered the Roscolux Swatchbook from B&H photo at: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... hbook.html

All the above retailers provided excellent customer service!

This gave me plenty to experiment with in the way of LED's, a wide assortment of fiber optic products, and color lighting lenses. I feel like a kid in a candy store!!

If you also need more LED's I would recommend grabbing some LED Xmas light strings (I got 35 bulb multicolor and white strings at "Big Lots" for $5) which work just fine with the Delux LED circuit board!

Hope this helps!
TShark
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

There's also the battery powered LED holiday lights. Usually have a switch, battery case, AC adapter plug and usually more wire than you'll ever need for a single project.
Abolish Alliteration
Leif_G

Post by Leif_G »

Fantastic suggestions guys. Thanks so much. TShark, I'm definately going to pick up those items you suggested. That one site has a tonne of interesting kits I'd like to try. The kit that transmits voice over fiber seems like a cool thing to put together with my daughter. Also, learning to splice fiber would be neat as well.

Leif
DLMatthys
Location: "Fracking? Not in my back yard. Now get off my ranch!

Post by DLMatthys »

I sugest a book for you from SSM member and FSM editor Matthew Usher the Kalmbach publication "A Galaxy Far Far Away".

It's all Star Wars stuff but the introductions to electronics with LEDs Fiber optics and EL sheet lamps will give you a good start on skill sets. So after that good plug for Matt's book I can plug for myself for some simple do it yourself LED blinky kits at my web site www.dlmparts.com
DL Matthys
don@dlmparts.com
http://www.dlmparts.com
Make it Glow!
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

Thanks so much for recommending my products TShark!

Yes, Delux-8 is our simplest, easiest to use kit and our "general purpose" kit, its not aimed at any particular subject. Everything else is a variation on a theme, or has a blinking effect added to the same card.

Have a look over here at my site for an example lighting project: http://home.myfairpoint.net/johndavidcook/id3.html
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
Leif_G

Post by Leif_G »

Thanks Madman Lighting! That StarFury is fantastic, and those pics of the lighting setup are extremely helpful. I've definately got to grab one of those kits to get me started.

Leif