Enterprise 1/350 painting question

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Inferno

Enterprise 1/350 painting question

Post by Inferno »

Hey Everyone,

I am wondering what type of paint to use for the base coat of the 1/350 enterprise model. I was told some people get away using wal-mart flat white? Is this a colorplace paint? Also wanted to make sure it won't melt the plastic? Also can I use flat black in colorplace for the block layers for lighting the kit.

Let me know what type of paint to use. I orginally was going to use tamiya but there really expensive and the spray cans are so small compared to wal-mart big colorplace cans. I am just not sure if you can use that on models or not.
kahless78

Post by kahless78 »

I use the krylon fusion brand it bonds to plastic. I have completed my first 1/350 refit and the hull was sprayed with fusion white. after the decals were put on the over all color of the hull went from white down to a white/grey! It looks awesome. I am now using fusion satin white for my next refit and I am doing the raytheon build and the satin is coming out perfect. I will post some pics of the build soon. Go with the Krylon fusion brand and you wont go wrong!
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

You can basically use any color that says "acryllic" - these are safe.

Flat paint form a rattle can will do. Just check ingredients - some cheaper no-name/all-purpose paints are rather based on synthetic resin (like the Tamiya stuff), but these can, if they are not made especially for model kit painting, very aggressive and attack the kit's surface. In the worst case you get "ripples" or an "orange skin", which ruins the kit. Better invest some bucks in good material, it pays off!
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
Ace Airspeed

Post by Ace Airspeed »

Inferno,

Invest in an airbrush. You will no longer be a slave to rattle cans and it will allow you to mix as you see fit.

For your question:

I also have the PL 1/350 kit and I plan to light it. For a base coat, I'm going to go with gloss white or mix a slightly "off white". This will give the decals a smooth surface to adhere to. From there, I plan to add a gloss clear coat to seal the decals, followed up with a satin final clear coat. Straight gloss will look out of scale for the kit and give it a toy like appearance.

As for the light block black, I'm considering foil.........................but I'm not there yet.