Trek Modeler 1/350 PL Enterprise Lighting Kit

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Delorean Man

Post by Delorean Man »

delete
Last edited by Delorean Man on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
talon

Post by talon »

I ordered my Trekmodeler kit on Sunday, the DIY kit because I've got soldering experience and to me I'd rather spend the hours assembling the lighting kit because IMO its part of the overall build as long as you have the ability. I'm not building for a client so why cut corners. Hopefully I'll get it soon, since he doesn't have to put it together.
Rob "Talon" Holts
Acreation Models
http://www.acreationmodels.com

"If my calculations are correct, once this thing hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious $@*&!"
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

talon wrote:I ordered my Trekmodeler kit on Sunday, the DIY kit because I've got soldering experience and to me I'd rather spend the hours assembling the lighting kit because IMO its part of the overall build as long as you have the ability. I'm not building for a client so why cut corners. Hopefully I'll get it soon, since he doesn't have to put it together.
There are a lot of complex wiring diagrams. Make sure you study them carefully, and review all of the wiring and electronic symbol tables.
Thomas E. Johnson
ChrisQ

Post by ChrisQ »

I agree with Thomas. I bought mine and got scared :scared: I'm going to work on a couple smaller kits first and gain some more experience.
talon

Post by talon »

Got the kit today. I've been looking over the instructions. It really isn't complicated, but the use of electrical diagram symbols and some vagueries would definitely make it difficult for some. I emailed Trekmodeler and offered my graphic design services in that area. He might not sell enough of them to make it worth paying me to clear them up. My first instinct is to switch from electrical diagram symbols to actual drawings.

So instead of an LED symbol, with a resister symbol, there would be a drawing of an LED and a resister. Also it should label each LED with size and color, instead of just color/size of the symbol. There are a couple areas in the instructions where it isn't clear or the picture doesn't match the table.

But, TrekModeler has done a good amount of legwork that I couldn't do. The fader bit with the deflector and the different light "modes" is something I wouldn't be able to do without bringing in a friend.

About the only know how you need on this is to know how to read a diagram, put two or three wires together and most helpful, wire management.

I'm probably going to swap all those wires flying around for some flat ribbon wire for the "relays" which aren't relays at all, but just branching points from what I can tell.
Rob "Talon" Holts
Acreation Models

"If my calculations are correct, once this thing hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious $@*&!"
ChrisQ

Post by ChrisQ »

Those "relays" bothered me the most. It seemed like they were just tie-in points but I'm a noob at electronics so at first I figured it was something I haven't learned yet.
talon

Post by talon »

I'll document the assembly of the lighting rig and share it for you if you want. Basically make a tutorial.
Rob "Talon" Holts
Acreation Models

ChrisQ

Post by ChrisQ »

That would be absolutely great. It would allow me to get started on my kit a lot sooner and I'd be in your debt!