Question about Vacuum Canopies

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

joscalse

Question about Vacuum Canopies

Post by joscalse »

Hi!

I just brought my first resin kit, a Macross 1/72 VF-4G Lightning III, a very nice detailed kit. I have worked before with resin upgrades but never a full kit with vacuum canopies.

My question, these clear parts need to be worked the same way as regular plastic kits?, did I need to use Future to make it clearer? What is the best glue to use to attach the canopy to the resin airframe? etc...

Thanks in advice

Jose
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Ya, Future will make a vac canopy look like the real thing. I prefer to use white glue or Micro Kristal Klear when attaching clear parts, but there are other adhesives that are appropriate. No Tenax or other liquid cement, though, because it'll craze the clear plastic and won't fuse to the resin anyway. Super glue can possibly be used if the canopy was Future'd, but I never attempt that because the risk of fogging is still too great.

For me, I take a lot of time to get a good fit between the canopy and the fuselage, i.e. cut the canopy from the sheet with plenty of excess around the edges and then take off a little at a time until it fits as perfectly as possible. That way just a couple of little spots of glue will keep it in place.

Hope this helps/

edited for syntax
Last edited by Joseph Osborn on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
joscalse

Post by joscalse »

Thanks a lot