Fixing Small Cracks in Clear Styrene

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

SuperGlued

Fixing Small Cracks in Clear Styrene

Post by SuperGlued »

Hi,

Does anybody know if small cracks on clear styrene parts can be repaired? Have a tiny crack on my Fujimi Ferrari 458 headlight (not sci-fi I know) where the gate attaches to the sprue. I know you can sand and polish out light scratches, but would there be a way to "fill" a crack with some type of resin like is done with actual windshields?
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

I've never heard of a way to fix cracks in styrene parts like you mention, I have heard of people applying Future to the cracked area and letting capillary action suck it into the crack, the crack won't totally disappear but short of a very close inspection it will be invisible.

How long would you guess the crack is? Would it be possible to paint a semigloss black border around it and call it a gasket to help hide the crack?

Ken
SuperGlued

Post by SuperGlued »

Hey Ken,

I had figured out using future might work since it's used to make parts ultra clear anyway. Crack is about 1mm so that should do the trick. Thanks!
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

If that doesn't work, you could always cast a new one using clear resin, using the other headlight as a master.

TazMan2000