Forum extra glitchy of late? USE the FIX THIS thread above

Just what it implies.
Zubie

Forum extra glitchy of late? USE the FIX THIS thread above

Post by Zubie »

John P wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:01 am But he didn't like it THREE times! :O
;)
Context: John replied this because somebody posted 3 times that they didn't care for "1941", but I think it really is a forum issue.

The forum has been fairly flaky lately giving me 500 level codes or server time outs. Several times now, it has complained SQL errors when I submit replies and then if I hadn't been eagle eyed enough to notice, it has posted my reply in spite of spiting me back to the editor page setting me up for a double post.
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Table './o7f2b2r3_talk/phpbb_user_notifications' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
I know that general login and server timeouts have happened from time to time as well as double posting errors have happened from time to time, but it seems know that these have been happening with a certain amount of regularity lately to me at least. I suspect it isn't just me.

As a side note I noticed that I didn't get several "new" posting notifications today - even on some quoted replies - curiouser and curiouser.
Last edited by Zubie on Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La maquina sobre mi escritorio es una "computadora" del latin "computare", no un "ordenador". El estado de mi escritorio afirma eso. (yo/me)
naoto

Re: Forum extra glitchy of late? - Delete this - IT's a glitch

Post by naoto »

I'm guessing the glitching could be from the result of:
* nearing or exceed storage capacity -- i.e. there might not be sufficient free disk space for operation to complete
* database may have ballooned in size. Perhaps a "shrink" may need to be performed on the data or the update logs. Deleting a record in database often tags the space occupied by the deleted record is tagged as "unused" -- but a "pack" (where unused portions of the database is physically removed) may not automatically be performed. On a similar note every time something is changed the database information about the change is stored in the update log (this information can be used to "roll back" an update) -- this can result in the log growing in size over time (until you perform a commit -- which typically tags the log entries as no longer needed). Typically running a backup will initiate a commit -- which will later allow you to shrink the logs.
* there could be a physical problem with the storage on the hosting server (i.e. harddisk or SSD could be failing) -- one of those things that's unavoidable as the equipment gets older.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
Thom
Location: Ithaca NY - ten square miles surrounded by reality!

Re: Forum extra glitchy of late? - Delete this - IT's a glitch

Post by Thom »

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm not getting any quote notifications. Either a glitch or, people are ignoring me... :(

No, must be a glitch! :D
Remember, always feed the right wolf.

My builds.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114506626@N06/sets/