Foamcore question

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Slin

Foamcore question

Post by Slin »

hey guys,

I'm making a MagLev train for my schoolproject, but I need a lightweight material for the train, so I though foamcore would work, but I have no clue of where to get it, could you guys help me ?

Thanks
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Well...drafting supply stores might have it, art and picture framing store sometimes carry it. Sorry that I can't be more specific.
Abolish Alliteration
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

Michael's carries it, and Walmart has limited colors in it too.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
Paulbo

Post by Paulbo »

A good (or even semi-good) art supply store will carry it in 1/4" and 1/8" thickness. Staples/Office Depot/Office Max carry it in colors, and even have it with adhesive backing.

Note on the adhesive stuff - it stinks! Don't bother with it if you're trying to skin your model. You're better off getting some film adhesive or Super77.

When do we get to see pictures?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Any decent wood glue will work. Something alogn the lines of Gorilla Glue or Titebond.
Abolish Alliteration
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

If foamcore is that stuff with cardboard on each side I'd be cautious with Gorilla Glue, or any urethane glue. One part has to be wet, or at least damp (I've found slightly wetter than damp works better) which cardboard doens't like being. I'd go for WeldBond, the makers say it's not PVA, but a resin based glue, I can tell ya, it's strong as hell.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I've used Elmers, Elmer's Carpenders glue, Gorilla, and TiteBond on foamcore. The cardboard over the foam is treated pretty serously for a vasriety of glues. You do need to avoid glopping too much on, which can cause the cardboard to swell a bit.
Abolish Alliteration
Slin

Post by Slin »

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll see if my local craft store has any.
GYSGT Hartman

Post by GYSGT Hartman »

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/to ... el2001.jpg

I LOVE foamcore.

Here I am using it to build an architectural model of an old abandoned Radar site in Montana.

The foamcore forms the basis of the structure and I'm using actual photos of the exterior of the real structure corrected to the proper perspective in Photoshop.

To glue, I simply use aliphatic resin ( carpenter's glue ), reinforced with sharp round toothpicks as locator pins into the base.

Foamcore is wonderful stuff.
rocketrider

Post by rocketrider »

If your looking for large sheets (4' x 8") sign supply shops like www.wensco.com carry it. They might be able to direct you to a local distributor

I think its like $9-$12 a sheet.

Glen
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

If you want to lighten your project even further, try peeling the paper off one of the sides of the foam core board (the inside, so that no one will see it) and you'll save some weight.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
star-art

Post by star-art »

Ressurecting an old thread. If you want your project to be virtually guaranteed to WARP, use foamcore. It will warp if you give it so much as a stern look. ;)

If you want your assemblies to be light, strong, and dimensionally stable, use Gatorboard instead. This stuff is slightly heavier, more expensive, and very difficult to cut. But it's extremely strong (at least 10 times stronger than foamcore) and so dimensionally stable I use it in place of plywood. Laser cuts very nicely as well! :)
www.StarshipBuilder.com Follow me on Facebook
Author, MODEL DESIGN & BLUEPRINTING HANDBOOK, Volume 1 SECOND EDITION NOW AVAILABLE
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

The original Post was october 14, 2005. I imagine the project was already turned in. Yo, Slin, How was it?
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Slin

Post by Slin »

It's worked out great, the train was nice and light, the propeller was a bit of a hassle (i ended up using the prop from a 1/48 B-25 :roll: ). Balancing the whole thing was troublesome too, but fortunaly on the turn in date, it worked perfectly and it zoomed along the track.

In the end I got an 8.3 for the project (8.3 out of 10)

Thanks for al of the advice guys :)