Decal printing paper?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Mack

Decal printing paper?

Post by Mack »

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some decal paper to use with my HP inkjet printer?

I was hoping I could design some images with GIMP and print them out easily. Just wondering if you need any special hardware or ink or anything.

Thanks
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

No special ink but it does take some sample printing to get you printer setting right. Because most of the decal paper out there is made so that the ink rests on top of the paper they are very fragile until fully dried (2 days in my case). MicroMark carries both clear & white for ink-jet printers.

It's much easier if you've got access to a laser printer.
Abolish Alliteration
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

Micro-Mark clear paper works great in my HP inkjet. Set the paper type to Photo/Glossy (don't use the Transparency film setting). Also, depending on which model printer you have, you may be able to adjust the ink volume setting. Turn it down a notch or two; this will help prevent the ink from pooling on the surface of the paper. Let it dry for a day or two then coat with a light coat of Testor's Dullcoat.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Or Krylon Crystal Clear.

It's cheaper an works jest as well.
Abolish Alliteration
Mack

Post by Mack »

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm rather looking forward to making my own decals.
Arthur Pendragon

Post by Arthur Pendragon »

I'm using Micro-Mark for some years now, and I[m fully satisfied.

EPSON also release a series os inkjet printers wich uses WATER PROOF inks (C-63 series and so on...). They're GREAT !!!! Totally waterproof !!!!

You just need to coat the decals with a clear acrylic gloss and it's ready for applying at the model ! :)
For in much wisdom there is much grief; and he who increases knowledge, increases sorrow.
Ecclesiastes, 1:18
Stubbs

Post by Stubbs »

My vote goes for Micromark as well. Cool place. Given that it's in New Jersey, I've been able to visit a few times. Another place I'll have to post pictures of the next time I go there.

Dude, if you want a sample, I've got sheets of white and clear MM decal film. I'll be happy to send you some. I've got an HP printer as well, and it works fine, if you give the stuff enough time to dry.
What's more dangerous? The guy holding a gun to your head, or the guy who has the literary skill to make poison read like sugar?

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/ ... hotobucket 'el Stubbserino</a>
Marcal

Post by Marcal »

Arthur Pendragon wrote:You just need to coat the decals with a clear acrylic gloss and it's ready for applying at the model ! :)
Also with thse C-63???
Marcal
Marcal

Re: Decal printing paper?

Post by Marcal »

Mack wrote:I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some decal paper to use with my HP inkjet printer?

I was hoping I could design some images with GIMP and print them out easily. Just wondering if you need any special hardware or ink or anything.

Thanks
I get my paper from Bell Decals
http://www.belldecals.com/

I'm very satisfied with it, and a good service too...
Marcal
Stingray

Post by Stingray »

I don't know the brand, but I've seen decal printing paper in the model section at Hobby Lobby. They have white and clear.

-S