Clear coats

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

darth_daniel

Clear coats

Post by darth_daniel »

Hello,
I airbrushed one of my models with clear gloss enamel (Revell paints). But it looks much too shiny. So: if I sprayed on a dull coat, would the gloss disappear? Or would it still shine through? Thanks for any tips!
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

Dullcoat will dull it out. The shine will disappear after application of a dullcoat.

So, spray with confidence!

Erin
<*>
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

Thanks! :D
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Or you can try a satin coat if you just loking for something less shiney but not matte.
Abolish Alliteration
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

I´m afraid Revell colours (which are the only ones to fit into my airbrush) offer just glossy and dull. :?
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Mix-and-match to get Satin.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Beacher

Post by Beacher »

The shininess is dependent on the texture of the final coating: if it's glassy smooth, the model will appear shiny. If there's a slight texture, like microscopic bumps, it will not appear shiny.

So it's the final coat that matters.
scanam2005

Post by scanam2005 »

I have used an unusual technique to get satin finishes. I sprya with Dullcote and Glosscote in subsequent layers during the same session. As soon as one coat dries I will spray a gloss or dull coat afterwards to get the right sheen. the coats are very light so it is easy to go back and forth.
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

If the model will be handled then a dull coat will go glossy in time. Why? You ask? Glad you did. Because all paints are actually gloss, dull and satin paints have flattening agents added to them, these agents make the paint softer, so handling will quickly wear the surface down to a gloss. Got this from the Furniture Guys. I once bought a bass with a satin neck, it was gloss in about 2 months. Better solution, apply a gloss coat, then take it down with steel wool.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Stingray

Post by Stingray »

darth_daniel wrote:I´m afraid Revell colours (which are the only ones to fit into my airbrush)
I don't understand this statement. What kind of airbrush will only use paint from one manufacturer?

-S
scanam2005

Post by scanam2005 »

I believe that Darth-Daniel is referring to the Revell airbrush line of colors which are available everywhere in Germany and Austria but are not available in the US generally. They are made by Revell Germany and are as prevelant in Germany as Testors paints are in the US. The Revell Airbrush colors come in bottles that exactly fit the Revell series of airbrushes making it very easy to spray right from the bottle. Of course spare bottles are available and empties can be used as well to use any manufacturer's colors.