How do you paint tiger stripes?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Jediguy

How do you paint tiger stripes?

Post by Jediguy »

hey guys, how do you airbrush tiger stripes like those used on the planes during the nato tiger meet. im thinking about painting a whole squad of my clone trooopers in that camo scheme
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I generally paint the stripe color first, cut a whole mess of Tamiya tape to shape and mask off the stripey areas. Then paint as you normally would.

Now if you're trying for the Vietnam style tiger-stripe jungle cammies, that get more difficult.
Abolish Alliteration
philp

Post by philp »

I did a Tiger stripe Phantom once. Sprayed the Yellow then hand painted the black stripes. Seen others who spray the first color (always the lightest) and then mask off the stripes and spray the second.
Phil Peterson
IPMS #8739
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I used to do the light to dark but gave up with tiger stripes. And if you're trying to pre-shade (yes, at the same time) it helps to go dark to light.
Abolish Alliteration
Jediguy

Post by Jediguy »

thanks guys, i tried the dark to light method and it works very well. Thanks again
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

First you get a tiger, then you paint stripes on him. Then you go to the nearest emergency department where they'll prolly send to to the OR to get the multiple lacerations sewn up. :D
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Try poking aroung on the Cincinnati Bengals Football team site:

http://www.bengals.com/

It mightt give you some Ideas as to how to apply the stripes to the figures.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
naoto

Post by naoto »

A group of soldiers being prepared for a practice landing on a tropical island were warned of the one danger the island held, a poisonous snake that could be readily identified by its alternating orange and black bands. They were instructed, should they find one of these snakes, to grab the tail end of the snake with one hand and slide the other hand up the body of the snake to the snake's head. Then, forcefully, bend the thumb above the snake's head downward to break the snake's spine. All went well for the landing, the charge up the beach, and the move into the jungle. At one foxhole site, two men were starting to dig and wondering what had happened to their partner. Suddenly he staggered out of the underbrush, uniform in shreds, covered with blood. He collapsed to the ground. His buddies were so shocked they could only blurt out, "What happened?"

"I ran from the beachhead to the edge of the jungle, and, as I hit the ground, I saw an orange and black striped snake right in front of me. I grabbed its tail end with my left hand. I placed my right hand above my left hand. I held firmly with my left hand and slid my right hand up the body of the snake. When I reached the head of the snake I flicked my right thumb down to break the snake's spine... did you ever goose a tiger?"
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

:lol:
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!