my compresor died

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

kosherbacon

my compresor died

Post by kosherbacon »

yes it is very sad
it fell off a table and the thingy tha u skrew the hose into bent.
so that means that i need to but a new one. i went to my lhs and asked if it was worth fixing (its a blue testors compresor with no moisture trap of psi gauge) he said no. and that i should go to a place like a harware store and buy a new one. the only problem is i have no clue what i should look for, max psi ,with a tank, without a tank, what brand, what's a good price etc.
so i ask you people what do you think i should get and what do all the different dodads do and if you can could you post a link to it so i may be able to order it online.
i will be leaving for a two week vacation tomorow (sorry for the inconveniece) and will not be able to see what is posted here so talk amongst yourselfs.

thanks all
"It matters if you just don't give up"
~Stephen Hawking
caveslug

Post by caveslug »

I picked up a 2 gallon one after Christmas at Walmart, for $50 and it has a pressure regulator built in. Really any compressor will work as long as you have a regulator to bring down the PSI at the outlet to 15-25 PSI. And you can buy a regulator if the compressor does not have one, Never needed a moisture trap myself. I know some of the guys here have posted that they just fill up a tank with air and use it, along with a regulator to bring the PSI down for a airbrush.

I still have my 10+ year old airbrush compressor spent $100 on it 2nd hand at that, but it still works. My problem is my airbrush which is an old Model Master one, is pretty useless. Even with a high flow tip and pulling all the way back for max paint, it wont put out that much. I think the part that you can't get back to look at is shot, might just drill out the rivet holding it together and take a peek on the inside.
Styrofoam_Guy

Post by Styrofoam_Guy »

IS the compressor part broken off? Can you get some sort of rubber hose and some hose clamps?

Yes a compressor with a tank and regulator/moisture trap a hardware store is fine. they are getting quite cheap now.

AS for the Model Master Airbrush I have the older Aztek which has a screw instead of the rivet and I have had to take it apart every so often to clean up the insides. Then it works as good as new.

Alex
Styrofoam Guy
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

im only back for a day and then im leaving again so i figured that i would respond before i left.
the part is not brokent of but i think that it is constricting the air flow and making my painting splattery.
so i think what i am going to do is buy one from a hardware store.
~Stephen Hawking
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

i was surfing the internet for a good compressor and came across this. it a craftsman compressor with a gauge on it so i can lower the pressure. i can get a sepperate moisture trap and i can get it from a sears that is close to me. if any one sees any problems with this please tell me so i dont buy the wrong thing!
air compressor
moisture trap
~Stephen Hawking
caveslug

Post by caveslug »

kosherbacon wrote:i was surfing the internet for a good compressor and came across this. it a craftsman compressor with a gauge on it so i can lower the pressure. i can get a sepperate moisture trap and i can get it from a sears that is close to me. if any one sees any problems with this please tell me so i dont buy the wrong thing!
air compressor
moisture trap
It will work,
I hope you plan on using it for more then just airbrushing, sort of over kill for just doing that.
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

i live in a town house so i realy have no other use for a compressor. when you say over kill what do you mean, psi wise, gallons for the tank, or something else. and if you have any other recomendations they would be much appreciated.

btw im leaving today so this will almost deffinately be my last post. (unitl i get back atleast)
~Stephen Hawking
Styrofoam_Guy

Post by Styrofoam_Guy »

I don't think it is overkill. 3 gallons is not much for some air tools.

If you pump it up to 125psi and turn it off when the motor cuts out then it would probably last quite a while for some silent airbrushing before you needed to fill the tank again.
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

Styrofoam_Guy wrote:I don't think it is overkill. 3 gallons is not much for some air tools.

If you pump it up to 125psi and turn it off when the motor cuts out then it would probably last quite a while for some silent airbrushing before you needed to fill the tank again.
IM BACK!!
well that definately seems like a plus. if i turned of the motor would i stil be able to change the pressure? because i think that i 125psi is a little too much for an air brush but i didnt have a regulator so i wouldnt know.
thanks for your input.
~Stephen Hawking
caveslug

Post by caveslug »

kosherbacon wrote:IM BACK!!
well that definately seems like a plus. if i turned of the motor would i stil be able to change the pressure? because i think that i 125psi is a little too much for an air brush but i didnt have a regulator so i wouldnt know.
thanks for your input.
He is saying that you could fill the 3 gallon tank up to its max limit of 125psi.
And then use it the regulator steps the 125psi in the tank down to what ever you have it set at. Say you set the regulator to 15psi, and you have 125psi in the tank. As you use the airbrush the psi in the tank will go down, but as long as the psi in the tank is higher the 15psi you are going to get 15psi coming out of the regulator. Think of the PSI inside the tank as gas, and the pressure regulator as cruise control on a car.

BTW click on the link to the compressor its $35 cheaper now :)
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

thanks for the tip!
i will have to make sure that i get it before the 5th because then it goes back to the regular price
~Stephen Hawking
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

If you are doing very big projects it will help as well, say airbrushing a C-57 saucer, not sure how big the refit and nx-01 350ths are compared to the C-57. We were going for the smooth finish, none Aztec look on our J-57 space station. So, long smooth brushings were splattering with Tony's pancake compressor from modelmaster I think it was, they don't make it anymore. It would fill the little tank then shut off then after he started on the big saucer it would run constantly. The big compressor and tank solved the problem.
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

ok so i bought it today
i got such a great deal on it
-it was on sale for 35$ off the original price (special thanks to cave_troll on that part)
-i got a moisture trap
-and with a 10$ coupon it came to a total of $108.00 (which is $8 more that i paid for a testors mini blue compressor which didnt have a pressure gauge, moisture trap, 3 gallon tank, or all the other fun stuff this one came with)
so in the end i would like to thank all the people that contributed to helping me find a new, and better compressor, you all helped alot.
~Stephen Hawking