PVC pipe as main body

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DukeChocula

PVC pipe as main body

Post by DukeChocula »

I am thinking of making a Puddle Jumper from the Stargate Franchises, and was planning on using PVC pipe as the main body. The first tube shouldnt be too hard, just cut the pipe on angles at either endwith a hack saw and sanding the edges smooth, but to anyone who has seen a puddle jumper knows its very textured on the outside, with complex shapes of thick plating. I want to use pvc pipe for that as well, cutting out shapes from the pipe and gluing them onto the main hull.

My question is does anyone have any tips on cutting complex shapes from PVC pipe? Using a hack saw wont work for the curves and angles on the round pipe very well, so I'm stumped at this point. And its very early on in the build so I'm frustrated.

Tips on what other materials would work well is also something I need help with.
Adama: We'd better start having babies.
Tigh: Is that an order?
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

A good vice, or set of clamps, and a "coping" saw should work well for the cuts you are contemplating.

:)
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

A scroll saw might work well too. Or just build the main body out of PVC then build the rest of the ship from sheet styrene, insulation foam, and Aves.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

You may want to consider using ABS as more things will glue to it. And paint/primer will stick to it.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

USSARCADIA wrote:You may want to consider using ABS as more things will glue to it. And paint/primer will stick to it.
And ABS is a little easier to cut as well. I'm pretty fond of ABS pipe for model parts.
Andrew
BLZ BOB

Post by BLZ BOB »

I have used with limited sucess a hot wire cutter for going through plastic pipe, if you have a heavy duty hot wire cutter or were to make one it should eat through the plastic, otherwise its saws away. Oh and dont forget bigger panels wont sit quite right as they will have the same radius as the inner tube but will 'want' to have a larger radius, hot water could help here.
Your Tastebuds can't repel flavour of this magnitude!
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

How big will your puddlejumper be? Will you start with a 4", 3", 2", 1" 1/2? If you're going big (4") details cut from the same diameter pipe will look good. If you're going small (1" 1/2 or 1"), they'll be too thick. Those smaller sizes could work better with something like lettering tape or signmaking vinyl, which is not only thinner (easier to cut and more to scale) but more flexible (adapting to the fuselage better) as well as self-adhesive.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
bmagee

Post by bmagee »

Found a pretty cool puddlejumper pic on the web...it may be old news to some of you.......but it is a nice rendering

http://stargate.filefront.com/potd/47624
DukeChocula

Post by DukeChocula »

I have yet to even measure my pipe or do any of the math to find the scales for the model. I believe it is a 4 inch diameter pipe. Thank you for the picture bmagee, I havent seen that and it will be a great reference.

I wont start construction on this model until I get a new camera, but in the mean time I will make conceptual drawings and figure out the scale measurements of each component.
Adama: We'd better start having babies.
Tigh: Is that an order?
jack wendt

Post by jack wendt »

i used PVC for my puddle hopper. i then laminated regular styrene card stock with superglue. i went to the local hobby store and bought several different widths in the same thickness.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Do you have a Dremel? If you've got a Dremel, and the flexible shaft (tee-hee) attachment for fine work, you may want to consider a cutting blade for it. Just draw out your places to be cut on the pipe, and follow along with the attachments. You'd be surprised at how precise you can be with them when combining them with the flexible shaft.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.