need a new airbrush compressor

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

nightwing4532

need a new airbrush compressor

Post by nightwing4532 »

Any suggestions on what brand/type to buy? I have a Testors Aztek A4709 airbrush I got for Christmas a couple years ago, and the cheap compressor I also got crapped out on me. Trying to find something that 1 wont die, and 2 is something compatible with my current Aztek. Any ideas?
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Depends on the noise factor mostly...I'd suggest an industrial compressor, but they are pretty noisy. Built to last however.

Someone around here showed a compressor a couple of years ago at WF that was for a framing nailer (I think the brand was Senco) that was amazingly quiet...not airbrush compressor quiet, but you could talk in the same room as it.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

i have a craftman comporessor and it works fine for me. i even has a three gallon tank on it so i can airbrush quietly after it fills up. it also comes with a lot of accessories. it is kinda loud but only for a few minutes and then you have silent airbrushing.
its even on sale at sears until the 30th
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product. ... Cookie=Yes

good luck! :D
"It matters if you just don't give up"
~Stephen Hawking
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

My Cyclone II from Badger has an included adapter with male NPT threads (1/4 - inch). It seems to work with my second Testor's airbrush; it's not an Aztek, but I think it will work similarly.

My setup is like this:

Compressor (female Badger thread) > male-to-male Badger coupling with NPT male thread going out > (female NPT thread in)Regulator-filter-water trap (female NPS thread going out) > male NPS to male NPT thread coupling > airbrush hose.

Basically, in m,y limited experience, I've been able to connect both of my airbrush hoses (Passche and Testor's) to NPT threads.

Here's the site I bought my brass fittings from:

Jack's Small Engine Repair Search for "Couplings." I'd get some NPS to NPS, NPT to NPT, and NPS to NPT male fittings in the diameter you need. Everything in my setup is 1/4-inch NPS or NPT. You should be able to configure a compressor to fit what you need.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.