Tamiya globbing out of airbrush

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Stilgar

Tamiya globbing out of airbrush

Post by Stilgar »

Need some help. I tried some mixed Tamiya colors today on a model piece. The paint did not 'mist' well out of the airbrush. It came out somewhat blotchy. Not sure what to do...

It cant change the pressure (old compressor with no adjustment). It was bout 58 degree out and I have no idea if the cold could have caused it. I have some tamiya thinner. Should I just try to thin it more? (except everyone else seems to use tamiya righ out of the bottle..)

All help appreciated.

Stilgar
schweinhund227

Tamiya out of the bottle ???

Post by schweinhund227 »

Well I did that a long time ago... and got the same results... as you did..

Always thin you paint!!! if you don't like to gamble use the same company ... in this case Tamiya thinner ...

Different mix for different application... usually 50 / 50 and then work you way form there.. More Thinner / lesser paint, will make your paint very thin and translucent!!! So more coats will be necessary…. Or can be used for pre-shading or post shading letting the under paint showing thru…

Too much thinner you risk having the paint pigments not binding (separating from the binding agent in the paint and giving weird effects… if not a mess…

And Yes! Cold weather might play in your adventure…

I am sure others will come to your help with this…confirm or add to this....

There are small pamphlets at your local hobby stores that have the Airbrushing basics... FSM magazine had a great article on that a few months back...

Or your paint was contaminated with something ….

But since you brought up the STRAIGHT FROM BOTTLE theme.. I think you nailed the answer there....

Hope this can help you a little.... Mix well, thin you paint and never pour back left over in your paint jar…

Take care and hope you can keep your project going!!!

OUT ! :?
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

I've never used Tamiya acylics straight from the bottle! Do they do a range of "ready to spray" colours - I know some paint companies doe that.

As for thinning, I get best results with their own brand thinner but reasonable with plain old H20 (or rather distilled/purified water)
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I've always just thinned it with good old rubbing alcohol, to the consistency of milk. Had no problems. I usually don't airbrush when its that cool outside.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

OK..will try thinning next time. Thanks for the input.

Stilgar
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I have found Tamiya flat paints are too thick in the jar. You can thin with isopropyl alcohol without problems. Mix, Mix, Mix - particularly for their VERY flat paints.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
intergalacticthingamejig

More thinners needed!

Post by intergalacticthingamejig »

Sounds like the paint is too thick to me, thin it down a step at a time until you find a mixture you like!

Wayne
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Thin it. The only thing I don't thin is Alclad.
Abolish Alliteration