Homegrown solutions for putting straight lines on greeblies?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

badlandsghost

Homegrown solutions for putting straight lines on greeblies?

Post by badlandsghost »

Short version is that I actually had a neat idea for the AMT tie interceptor I've been working on lately, but the stumbling block has become the paintjob. Specifically, it's going to have a design on the outer wing panels, thats going to have to cross over the center mounting area, so far, nothing in my arsenal (small though it be) has worked decently for getting straight lines over these detail heavy areas. (one wing is on its 4th stripping, and the other just got its second base coat :roll: )
The only approach I have handy that I havent tried yet, mainly out of fear of screwing the kit up, is thin sheets of sculpey. I'm planning on trying tamya tape, next online order I make, but I'm not really sure it'll do that great either, so...
What other inventive ways have you folks found for masking complex/detailed surfaces?
(I just had an idea before making this post, anybody tried that press-n-seal saran wrap stuff? does it stick to styrene?)

Let the ideas flow,
Thanks
J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"What are you all looking at? Well?"
"They're looking at the wee little puppet man. "
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I've had trouble with press 'n seal forming over lots of greeblies.

Tamiya tape is your best bet. Some might recommend Parafilm, but I've yet to be successful with it.

If the masking is to be somewhat irregular, Silly Putty is also pretty popular.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Slide

Post by Slide »

what about that blue poster tack stuff? would that work? it's also cheap too!
"When you leave my academy you will be weapons! focused! and full of Purpose! Hot-rod rocket-jocks of prescision and strength, tear-@$$ing across the cosmos hunting for heaven!" -- Sgt. Maj. Frank Bougus [R. Lee Ermey, S:AAB]
jocuri cu nave
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

I'd think the blue-tack would take paint off.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I've had Press-n-Seal tear paint off. It's much more dangerous than blue-tak. And it's fairly stiff, so may not conform to details.

But, better options are Silly Putty and Parafilm. If you're coming to Wfest I can show you how to use the Parafilm - or if Tom Grossman is teaching the class again, he's the Dood with the stuff.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I second Silly Putty. I have used it several times. Armor guys use it over heavily detailed areas of tank exteriors.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I'll third Parafilm. And yeah, Tom is the Parafilm God.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

What about this stuff? I love it!
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Stu Pidasso wrote:What about this stuff? I love it!
Hate it. Never had good results. End up peeling leetle tiny shards off the model.

How about Silly Puddy & a sharp exacto? Mash it on then trim off. You just have to spray quickly as Silly Puddy will droop over time.
Abolish Alliteration
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Kylwell wrote:
Stu Pidasso wrote:What about this stuff? I love it!
Hate it. Never had good results. End up peeling leetle tiny shards off the model.
Usually a pencil eraser will help that.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
SpaceDuck

Post by SpaceDuck »

I only use 3M brand but it's the stuff you can get from a professional auto body/paint supplier. PN26334 is lime green and says Scotch brand inside the roll. It's kinda low tack (compared to others) but stays put without residue and it's flexible so just feed it into cracks and crevices and burnish the edge as you go. Silly Putty will leave a soft or hard edge depending on how thick a glob is in that area and Tamiya tape doesn't stretch enough to conform to small details while Parafilm doesn't stick well enough to stay put from my experience. But this stuff works. Besides the method of masking remember to paint perpendicular to your edge to avoid paint getting under whatever you use. Oh, cut the tape down to about 1/16th or 1/8 inch and that smaller size will help you put it where you want it. Then after the border is set, just backfill.

Good Luck
Duck Dodgers of the 24th and a half century!