Problem with decal file size

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

thegt4master

Problem with decal file size

Post by thegt4master »

Hi folks,

My first post on this forum so please go easy on me :)

After a break of 20 years I've got back into making models and am building an AMT/ERTL Enterprise A (before attempting my PL version)

Been a lurker on here and have picked up some great tips from you guys but I've got to a point where I need some help with printing my own decals.

I'm trying to print Carlos "Arthur Pendragon" Zangrando's great set of decals from the free file on the downloads page but am having problems due to the file size. The jpg is 8.5mb and no matter what I do it appears that it's too large for my pc too handle ??

I've tried resizing it but run into insufficient memory errors :cry:

Can anyone help or advise on making this jpg a more manageable size or provide a smaller version.

Many thanks,
Rob
Why close a door when you can slam it !!
Stubbs

Post by Stubbs »

Rob,

What happens when you try to open it? What does your computer do to you? Try and detail the error you get.
What's more dangerous? The guy holding a gun to your head, or the guy who has the literary skill to make poison read like sugar?

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/ ... hotobucket 'el Stubbserino</a>
thegt4master

Post by thegt4master »

I can open the file and view it ok (although viewing it at 100% size it's absolutely massive !)

The problem is when I come to print it. If I specify resizing it to A4 size all I get is a blank page.

If I try and edit the image or resize it in Paint or any other software then I get an Insufficient Memory error from Windows.

This happens on my home pc and the one I have at work which has 20gig spare on the hard drive and 1gig RAM.
schweinhund227

Post by schweinhund227 »

we need to know what OS you are using on your PC.. and what program you are using to open the file... as well...

some programs defaults to the saved format and size a file might have been downloaded on the site...

Using programs like windows Fax and Pictures viewers (XP) enables you to resize on the fly the files you need to be printed...

Programs like ACDSEE also enables you to Resize/crop and so many other things you can do with that...

Best of luck..... let us know ! How you are doing ... with that...

OUT !
quantumplasmathingie

Post by quantumplasmathingie »

If you're using XP or windows2000, the first thing I would check is your page file size. You can have all the ram in the world, but if your printer driver needs to write a file to convert the pixels in your image to dots for printing on a page, not having enough swap space on your drive will choke the process.
I think the default allocation is 384 mb, which can be eaten up largely by the OS alone. If you've allocated less than a gig for swap space, that would lead to memory allocation errors. This setting is under start<control panel<system<advanced. Mine is set for 1024 megs. I've never had a memory alloc error.
The next thing I would check is the DPI setting for the printer. I'm not sure if you're already familiar with print graphics, or if this topic has already been covered in the forum, but I'll go into it just in case.

Image size and image resolution are two separate entities. Size is the physical dimension of the printed image (like 1"x1") and resolution is the density of pixels or dots per inch for the image. In print, the density of dots effects the quality or sharpness of the image.
In printing from a computer, a single pixel on screen is equivalent to a single dot on the page. Your image appears massive on the screen, as screens are only 72 pixels-per-inch.
A print-resolution graphic of 300 dots per inch that is 1"x1" will show up on screen as 4.16" x 4.16".
Printing any kind of graphics should be done at 300 dpi at least. Lower resolutions will make the image grainy. If you try to print a 72 dpi graphic without resolving the size vs. the resolution, it can max out the memory or only print part of the graphic. Some folks like to print at even higher dpi's, but 300 dpi (glossy-magazine quality) should be more than sufficient. I only use higher resolutions if I'm printing to film or transparencies. I once rendered out a 3D image for a trade show light box that was around 18000x23000 pixels! All you could see on the screen was the bottom left few inches.
As Schweinhund mentioned, printing high resolution images directly from most of the applications that come with Windows can lead to the problem you're having. Most image viewers are geared toward printing low resolution images from digital cameras or downloaded from the internet.
You can actually print very good quality images directly from MS Word or Powerpoint. If the image you're trying to print is 300 DPI, you can just insert it into a blank page, and it will usually resize the image to fit the page. Double clicking the image will open the dialog to adjust the image size to what you need.
I hope this helps and best of luck with your decals!
futch

Post by futch »

A bit of theory ...

An 8Meg JPEG does not equate to an 8Meg image file when you import it into programs like Photoshop/MSPaint etc. The Windows OS (DC) works with bitmaps so every pixel in the file gets loaded into memory, including a number which represents the pixel colour. The size of the number depends on the colour range of the image (8-bit, 16-bit or 32 bit colour). The bigger the number, the more memory each pixel consumes.

To figure out the actual file size in memory, multiply the number of pixels by the colour range. An 8 Meg JPEG roughly turns into a 120Meg 16-bit bitmap.
Plus some overhead for the image software to work with the file.

Images sent to the printer go as bitmapped data, defined by the dots-per inch. For eg, a 600 pixel wide image at 600DPI will be 1 inch wide when printed.
thegt4master

Post by thegt4master »

Many thanks for all the replies and info, you've helped me solve the problem :D

I'm running XP and using picture/fax viewer. I've increased the memory allocation which was set at the default setting of 384mb (doh!) to 1024mb and also changed my printer settings to print straight to printer rather than spool.

Now I've got a lovely decal sheet.

Next job is to finish the aztec and decal her up.

Incidentally I'm building an old lights and sound Enterprise, I've swapped out the grain of wheat bulbs for LEDs to give a brighter more reliable light source. Will post up some pictures when I get her finished.

Take care folks :)