Strip Cutter

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Darkov

Strip Cutter

Post by Darkov »

Anyone have or have used one of these?
Strip_Cutter
I was thinking about getting one to try to cut my own strip styrene. I don't have a LHS or anyplace relativly close by so it has been mail order only for styrene strips. I thought this might work for cutting my own from thin .001-.003 styrene sheet.
Any thoughts.....

Pete
How do you know my dimwitted inexperience isn't really a subtle form of manipulation used to lower peoples expectations, thereby enhancing my ability to maneuver myself within any given situation?
Chief 400

Post by Chief 400 »

Yep....got it from the same place......I use it mainly for .040 styrene, but with a No24 blade in it works just dandy!
I Stay away from Discussions of Religion, Politics, and Star Wars...all for the same reason......
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

:shock: Why haven't I heard of this before?! Thanks! :D
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Buzzbomb

Post by Buzzbomb »

Dont discount those paper trimmers available at most office supplies stores. I have been using one of those for some time with excellent results.

Brian T
It's not a toy!.... it's an accurate scale representation of a craft that doesn't actually exist.
Darkov

Post by Darkov »

I bought one of the cutters from Micromark....It works Great for cutting thin sheet.
I needed something I could cut .030 and thicker though. I came up with this Cutter
I made it out of 2 carpenters squares and a piece of laminated MDF board. Works Very well....Great for thicker and larger pieces. It also only cost a few dollars to put together. :D
How do you know my dimwitted inexperience isn't really a subtle form of manipulation used to lower peoples expectations, thereby enhancing my ability to maneuver myself within any given situation?
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

I have one, too. For really thick styrene, I use it to scribe a line by running the blade over it a couple of times. Then I either snap it, or keep cutting deeper with a stiffer blade.

I use a #10 blade mounted backwards to do the scribing.

Kev