Printing Decals on a copy machine. Is it possible

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

miamitrekker

Printing Decals on a copy machine. Is it possible

Post by miamitrekker »

I recently bought laser printer decal paper thinking that I could print the aztek patterns provided by this website on my printers at work. Well just as i got it in the mail they changed the normal laser printers to this massive HP copy machine printer fax thing!!!!!

I tried to print the decals but they basically melted on their way out of the machine as it seems these machines use some kind of heat as the paper rolls its way out. Has anyone had success with printing decals on a copy machine like this? Is there a trick to it or is it just not possible?

Ive looked and looked in the forum but havent found anything concerning it, can anyone help??? :(
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Yeah, the best advice I've heard is to take the files to Kinkos and have them use one of their bigger special printers, which don't roll the paper around rollers. Bring them the artwork and your decal paper. Then you'll need to overcoat with Microscale's Liquid Decal Film.

Don't waste the paper, take a few things you want printed to fill it up.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
miamitrekker

Post by miamitrekker »

Cool i will do that. Call me a novice but when i open the files on the computer it opens in a windows viewer, ive printed them on white paper and they seem to be in scale. But going to kinkos what directions should i give them to print them out? Such as 100%? what program should they open them up on and such?
I want to go prepared, no offense if anyone on the board works in Kinkos but here in Miami, the staff is a little spacy lol
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Just tell them what you want to do. Take the laser printer type decal film paper. Have them print some on glossy paper first, so you can see what it looks like. It will be money well spent. Look for the nerdiest person there! ;)
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

I did mine at Kinkos and they turned out fine...

Stilgar
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

I was thinking of this, I bought the tango papa aftermarket PL Jupiter 2 decals and they are great BUT very, very fragile ! I lost many of them trying to apply them, then, I had an idea. I needed one decal that was ruined for the lower deck floor. I had the picture of the decal sheet in my pictures folder and i printed the decal sheet and cut out the paper decal and elmer glued it to the floor. HERE IS MY IDEA. I am not sure if office depot etc. sells sheets of sticker paper for ink jet printers. If so, I would like to print some other decals on my printer using the sticker paper sheets, then, cut out the decal and stick them in place. I think the decal would be much stronger and a lot easier to place in to posistion. Think that would work ? :shock:
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Back before you kids and your inkjet printers, that's all we had - copy shops. :old:

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

AHH, technology, isn't it wonderful ? I know about copying machines i used to do that all the time. oh the memories ! :D
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION