How to Make Grilles for Intakes? (PICS!)

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

ssorrell

How to Make Grilles for Intakes? (PICS!)

Post by ssorrell »

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with making grilles for aircraft intakes? Specifically, I'm trying to emulate the grille inside the nose of the BSG Viper MKII on a model of a "MK I," and I'm trying to figure out a way to make a realistic honeycomb pattern. I've found a couple of links to manufacturers of 1/25 photoetched honeycomb sheets for model cars, and might go that route. Still, I'd like to hear other suggestions if anyone has any.

Thanks!

Scott
Last edited by ssorrell on Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

What about twolle (sp?) fabric? There are different weaves of it. Assuming there is one in the size you need, I would think you could maybe spray it with a quick shot of Future to stiffen it up.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

K&S makes a wide variety of brass mesh and screen. Their website seems to be broken, but just google K&S brass and you'll come up with a ton of hobby shop links, like this one. Or check out your local hobby shop or model train shop, and ask them if they carry K&S tubing and sheet.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
ssorrell

Post by ssorrell »

Thanks for the link, Mr. Badwrench, I'll check it out!
Lt. Z0mBe wrote:What about twolle (sp?) fabric? There are different weaves of it. Assuming there is one in the size you need, I would think you could maybe spray it with a quick shot of Future to stiffen it up.
Kenny, I was thinking along the same lines, but I was thinking of using screening material for windows and gluing it to a sheet of styrene to produce the texture. I was really wanting to get the transparency of a photoetched piece, though....

Thanks again!

Scott
redfinger

Post by redfinger »

I have an example of something I a working on wight now, when I get home from work I will post a pic for you..

Ashton
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

Here's a lead for ya'

Core material for composite construction is often a honeycomb design.
I have seen just what you're describing...it's only a question of sizes available.
I'll bet that a short while google'ing "honeycomb core" or "composite core materials" would provide a world of options.

Good luck to ya' sir !
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

ssorrell wrote: Kenny, I was thinking along the same lines, but I was thinking of using screening material for windows and gluing it to a sheet of styrene to produce the texture. I was really wanting to get the transparency of a photoetched piece, though....

Thanks again!

Scott
Tulle fabric can be painted, and the holes are not blocked by fabric. Other than the KS brass material, this stuff would be ideal (and much, much cheaper). Just about any fabric store will have a variety of the stuff, with varying hole sizes (sub millimeter to about a millimeter or two).

Frank
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

It can be painted, but it also comes in several colors (mostly around here I find it in black, white, pink – that's tutu material – yellow, red, brown...)

And you can always stretch it over a frame to have it flat and transparent.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Photoetched materials work very well. You can often find tank photoetch on sale at shows. I always dig through for nice mesh material.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
ssorrell

Post by ssorrell »

Yeah, I've seen that a lot of photoetched parts are produced for tanks....

Thanks!

Scott
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I have to replace the engine intakes on my Howling Wolf Blackbird as they were cast bad(not an easy part to cast). I found a match in Plastruct Lattice/trellis material. You might check it out on their site.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
ssorrell

Post by ssorrell »

USSARCADIA wrote:I have to replace the engine intakes on my Howling Wolf Blackbird as they were cast bad(not an easy part to cast). I found a match in Plastruct Lattice/trellis material. You might check it out on their site.
Hey, that may be it right there. Kinda looks like gutter covers, now that I see them. Of course, I'm sure gutter covers aren't scaled properly :)

Did you have any luck finding this stuff at stores, or did you have to order it?

Scott
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I special ordered what I thought was the stuff(LAT 50) but it's not quite it. I picked it up yesterday. Its not exact to the kit material, but might work. It certainly would work in your case where you don't have to have an exact match.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

SmallParts has perfed steel in some awfully fine amounts. Might work.
Abolish Alliteration
ssorrell

Post by ssorrell »

Hey, found some photoetched stuff at a local art supply store. Should work perfectly. Apparently a suggested use is to make beams and girders for architectural models. It's a K&S product. Got it for six bucks with my work ID (work at the nearby university.)

So now I have no more excuses! Well, I do, but lack of grille material is no longer one of them :)

Thanks everyone!

Scott
ssorrell

Post by ssorrell »

Hey all!

Thought you might enjoy seeing the fruits of everyone's suggestions :)

This is my modified Revell Viper "MK I" nosecone....

Nosecone before modifications
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/ ... C_0045.jpg

Nosecone cut in half
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/ ... C_0046.jpg

Nosecone halves with plug and grille installed. The plug is mainly to keep the foam from escaping. I like to fill my hollow models with expanding foam. Just gives it a nice, solid feel :)
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/ ... C_0048.jpg

Inside of 2nd nosecone half painted flat black. I do the same thing with my return air ducts at home. The flat black absorbs any light and keeps you from having to detail it. If you can't see it, you don't have to worry about it :)
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/ ... C_0064.jpg

Nosecone halves glued back together.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/ ... C_0066.jpg

Finished nosecone.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/ ... C_0069.jpg

Nosecone dry fitted in fuselage.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/ ... C_0070.jpg
&
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/ ... C_0072.jpg

The inspiration -- the nosecone on Zoic's MK II. I don't know the policy on posting images I've downloaded from starshipbuilder.com, but that's where the pics are. I think the resemblance is pretty acceptable :)

Dry fitted nosecone with grille painted flat black. Did this mainly to see what it would look like. I had to gamma correct this photo to even see the grill, which, unfortunately, is the case in real life, as well. I'll ultimately paint the grille a metallic color so that it will stand out.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/ ... C_0078.jpg

This is my first real attempt at customizing a stock kit, and I'm pleasantly surprised at the way it's turned out so far. Now that this little pain is out of the way, maybe I can make some more obvious progress on it.

At any rate, thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions for this!

Scott
PetarB

Post by PetarB »

That's a nice customization... really adds to that area.
ssorrell

Post by ssorrell »

PetarB wrote:That's a nice customization... really adds to that area.
Thanks! Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by the way it turned out. I actually did it twice. The first attempt looked great to me, until I realized that the line of the grilles was not parallel to the vertical plane of the nosecone. Once I saw this, it was all I could see when I looked at it :)

Scott