priming a model for flaws

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

qc

priming a model for flaws

Post by qc »

this may be a silly question, but while watching individuals scratchbuild, i noticed that the model was being primed, then additional details would be added OVER the primer. my concern would be the effectiveness of the detail/greeblie adhering to model (the plastic itself, as opposed to the thin layer of paint), especially during the course of making the molds. is this concern unfounded or does it really stick to the model well?

a related concern of priming in the middle stages is the covering of minute details. i don't think it would matter in larger scale models, but speaking in terms of (scratch)building in a smaller scale.

i like/appreciate the use of priming in the middle stages in order to detect flaws in the finish/surface, but am curious about its drawbacks...

thanks on the feedback.
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Sometimes a modeler has to prime the kit to find flaws. Once they do, then fix them, sometimes you can just strip the primer off and keep building. Like you said, it could all be up to the model. If you have too many fine details, then you can't prime. Once I primed a kit 6 times before I painted.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

As long as the details aren't huge, and aren't likely to be torqued, I haven't had problems. The primer I usually use is Gunze's Mr. Surfacer 1000.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Same here. Usually by the time I'm done filling & sanding there's not a whole lotta primer left.
Abolish Alliteration