Central Pneumatic Airbrush Compressor, broke mid model...

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Orion

Central Pneumatic Airbrush Compressor, broke mid model...

Post by Orion »

I bought this airbrush compressor a few days before Christmas, and I knew that I wasn't getting a great compressor, but I honestly thought that it would last longer than this.

I finally got brave enough to use my Paasche AB yesterday and after a while, I thought that there was something wrong with the AB. It wasn't splattering, but the air flow was inconsistent and I was having difficulty getting paint though the brush (my paint was thin enough). I tried to adjust the regulator up to run some windex though it real quick to see if that helped, and when I turned the knob, it didn't do anything. It wouldn't adjust the pressure up or down. Also this compressor used to automatically shut off when it reached a certain PSI. Know it doesn't do that either. Does the regulator also control when the compressor shuts off? I would say no. I'm afraid that something else happened and it's not just a single problem. I've contacted Harbor Freight to see what they will do about this.

BUT, ok, I realize I need a reliable pressure source. And there is no shortage on discussions about compressors. But I'm curious about the noise difference between the tanked/tankless compressors. What I think I may end up doing though is use Co2 for my main pressure for the AB, and if I can get this cheapo compressor replaced, I'll keep it for a backup for when I run out of gas in the middle of something. I've got the tank, I just need to get a new regulator.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Does the regulator also control when the compressor shuts off?
Actually, yes. It allows you to set a predetermined amount of pressure in the system before the compressor kicks in. The shouldn't kick in until the pressure in the system drops below a certain point. The regulator lets you set that point

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Orion

Post by Orion »

Thanks, I was really wondering about that. I'm not having much luck in dealing with Harbor Freight on this, they tell me to take to the retail store I bought it from, which would be a 7+ hour round trip drive for me. Gas as high as it is, it would be rather cost prohibitive for this me thinks, not to mention the time needed.

I was mainly just ranting about the stupid thing going out on me. Eh, it's a piece of equipment, it's going to break. It just HAD to do it while I was in the middle of airbrushing I suppose. It knows my luck :twisted:

But my ever so lovely wife took pitty on me and took me to buy a tanked compressor from Tractor supply. Now if I can only get used to when the thing kicks on right in the middle of me working...

BTW Lt. Zombie - I finally got around to Hobby Town in Lexington yesterday. Picked a great day to be up there, right after the storms with some of the lights on Nichollasville road not working and the Men in Blue having to direct traffic due to the storms. (More of my infamous luck). They had a great selection of everything, much better than the one I stopped at in TN had. And they were extremely helpfull to boot. Those guys made a new guy like me feel right at home. I made a good haul on some supplies and paint I was needing too.
Lord Darth Beavis

Post by Lord Darth Beavis »

Orion--

To avoid chest pains every time the thing starts, fill up the tank, then unplug the compressor, until the pressure gets too low. At that point, plug her back in. At least you'd know when the compressor is going to switch on, and not scare you out of a year's growth each time.
"I have an ARMY!"

*shrugs* "We have a Hulk."
================================
America*: Land of the Free**

* - "America" is a registered trademark of U.S. Corporations.
** - No actual freedoms are inferred or implied.
Any resemblance to totalitarian regimes is strictly coincidental
unless those regimes are regulated by the Federal Government.

================================
'Russia Space Agency. My name Peggy. Have problem?'
Orion

Post by Orion »

You know, that thought crossed my mind with this one. I've never had a compressor before (minus the above mentioned one that bit the dust) and didn't know if that would be bad for the compressor as I figured that the motor was more designed to run for shorter periods of time at more frequent intervals rather than running for longer every now and then like you said. It's a piston motor and I had to put oil in it if that matters any.

I may have 2 hours Airbrushing with the new compressor now this week, and I'm getting used to the sudden noise though. But oh how silence would be bliss! If it wouldn't hurt it, I could stop and wait the 2 minutes to let the tank fill back up I think.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

You get what you pay for. My po' old Badger compressor is close to 20 years old. Cost me close to $150 IIRC when I bought it. I've ran it long enough at times that it was too hot to touch. Still works like a charm. My only complaint is it's on the noisy side, which is the only reason I'm looking into a another compressor.

I'd scream & yell @ Harbor Freight some more, maybe the next person will be a bit more accommodating.
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Orion wrote: But my ever so lovely wife took pitty on me and took me to buy a tanked compressor from Tractor supply. Now if I can only get used to when the thing kicks on right in the middle of me working...

BTW Lt. Zombie - I finally got around to Hobby Town in Lexington yesterday. Picked a great day to be up there, right after the storms with some of the lights on Nichollasville road not working and the Men in Blue having to direct traffic due to the storms. (More of my infamous luck). They had a great selection of everything, much better than the one I stopped at in TN had. And they were extremely helpfull to boot. Those guys made a new guy like me feel right at home. I made a good haul on some supplies and paint I was needing too.
Great on all counts, 'cept the storms. I lost five trees out of my yard, but, thankfully, no damage to the house.

I stopped at the HT in Lexington probably once a month in college. IT's been six or seven years since I've been to that one.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.