Gloves

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

starmanmm

Gloves

Post by starmanmm »

Ok,

Been snooping around and would like to know if you prefer powder free gloves to the ones that are lightly powdered?

Reason why I ask is that I can buy gloves that are lightly powdered from Harbor Freight in bulk, but would not the powder get on your model due to handling it or while AB it?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I get disposable nitrile gloves from Costco. Powder free. Latex free. Stronger, better feel.
Abolish Alliteration
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

I get my Gloves from the local chemist.

Don't like the powdered ones as the powder sticks to your hands and makes them smelly especially when you sweat a bit.
Ones I tried were only dusted on the inside.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I use tight weave, cotton work gloves. You know the kind made for handling sharp instruments that have all the rubber nibs on them? I wear those, but on the wrong hands so that the nibs don't contact the model.

I tried the lightweight ones, and I just plain don't like the latex ones (gloves, Jimi :) ). The lightweight cotton ones are supposedly lint free, but I always leave lint behind. Again, that could just be user error as I am pretty hard on my gloves.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Wug

Post by Wug »

When I used the Harbor Freight gloves, I had problems with the powder leaving marks in gloss and dull coats. For the past few years I've used Kimberly-Clark Safeskin Powder-Free Purple Nitrile Exam Gloves from Wal-Mart. They're a little more expensive but they're much stronger than latex. They're also easier to get a good fit across the fingertips and once they're on, they stay put.

Mike
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Wug, that is what happened when I used the harbor freight gloves... noticed the powder residue on the kit at the end of the AB session.

Bought some gloves at a flea market, but they are too loose on me and the large ones were too tight. :x

Will check both Wal Mart and BJ (I guess that is the same as Costco) and see what they have.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I also prefer the powder-free nitrile gloves. They conform well, and are thick enough to be robust.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati