Types of Thinner for Enamel Paints

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jaekwong

Types of Thinner for Enamel Paints

Post by jaekwong »

Just wondering, what kind of thinner are good for using for testor's enamel paints?

I tried mixing isopropyl with it and it didnt thin it, then i realized alcohol probably won't work.

I have a whole carton full of lacquer thinner. Will this stuff thin enamels?
Only thing is i know that lacquer thinner eats plastic really easily

Mind you my piece is primed with krylon fusion.

Any suggestions for enamel thinners? (other than testors or MM brands of thinners)
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

uhm... hardware store 'paint thinner'....
Abolish Alliteration
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

Git yerself a can of them "mineral spirits" at the hardware store. Just plain ole paint thinner works best. Save lacquer thinner for lacquer based paints.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
jaekwong

recochem

Post by jaekwong »

I have a can of Recochem lacquer thinner. will this work?
Should i be careful of ratios making sure i dont have too much lacquer thinner?

Currently I am working with a Star Wars Ship. (the v-wing made by hasbro).
Its just i have a huge can sitting at home and would like to make use of it if i can.

anyone else that can vouch for lacquer thinner with enamels?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Generally speaking, the two don't mix. Different chemicals for different things. Alcohol for acrylics, lacquer thinner for lacquers, mineral spirits (or Paint Thinner) for enamels.

If you look up the MSDS for the various thinners you'll see what really makes each unique.
Abolish Alliteration
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Just a little hint if you use Humbrols, I HIGHLY recommend using their thinner. I have found over the years that it works best with their paint particularly their clear finishes.

Cheers,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

I use lacquer thinner with Testor enamels (Model Master and old line) all the time.

As long as you don't flood the surface with the paint there shouldn't be any compatibility problems with the surface.

Light coats are the rule.

Ken
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

Testors gloss enamels love lacquer thinner. I use gloss black (in the little square bottle) thinned with about 70% lacquer thinner as a primer for metallic finishes. It sprays super smooth, flash-dries quickly enough to prevent runs and sags, and fully cures in a few days to a very hard finish. However, when I need tighter control with fine lines for camouflage paint jobs I'll use mineral spirits. Both thinners will work, just pick your poison based on what kind of finish you need.
jaekwong

Post by jaekwong »

alright, so this is what happend

I primed my ship in with krylon fusion
waited about 2 days for it to dry

Thinned down testors enamel paint with lacquer thinner. about 8:1 (thinner to paint) for a backwash.

and few seconds later... it started wrinkling the primer (the fusion coat). It got so ugly quickly.

Then quickly trying to wipe it off i noticed it warped the plastic ever so slightly. crazed it maybe.

Anyone tell me what did i do wrong here?

I thougght that this would be ok :(
(keep in mind. i dont airbrush, all i use is hand brush)
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Laquer thinner can be very caustic. I almost always use srtist oils and turpentine for my washes. Also you might want to try putting a layer of Future down first thus giving you an acrylic layer as a barrier between the base coat and the wash.

Cheers,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Never use lacquer thinner for making a wash, it will eat through just about any paint, primer or clearcoat, including Future.

I use it to thin enamels 50:50 or so for airbrushing.

For handbrushing I would not use lacquer thinner, dries too fast and could create a gummy mess from the brushing action.
I use regular paint thinner/mineral spirits when I have to thin enamels for handbrushing or washes.

Ken
jaekwong

Post by jaekwong »

thanks so much guyS!

was wondering, anyone know the difference between
Model master enamels and testors enamels?

quality? chemical? is there really a better one?

i know mm is part of testors.. but theres also plain testors enamels that you can get at craft stores or even wal-mart.

anyone any experience?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Model Master paints come in a different set of colors and are a finer grade of paint. The Model Master line includes the Metalizer paints which are a synthetic lacquer based paint made specifically for airbrushing.
Abolish Alliteration
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

I'll second what Kylwell said about the differences between the paints, and I think outside of what he mentioned there isn't a difference.

I've used both brands for years and both behave pretty much the same, I've shot both brands through the same airbrush and had pretty much the same behavior from both.

For basic colors, I'd use the small bottles simply because of the price, I think 2 of the small bottles are cheaper than one of the MM ones, no sense in paying more for basically the same paint in the same color.

Note that the Metalizer line is not to be handbrushed, it does use lacquer thinner in it and will gum up when hand brushed. (although I have handbrushed it for areas like gun barrels, you have to work very quick, one pass, no brushing back and forth)

Also, you can't get model paint at Wal-Mart anymore.

Ken