Retrofitting a tank onto a compressor

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jgoldader

Retrofitting a tank onto a compressor

Post by jgoldader »

Hi folks,

I'm shopping for my first compressor, and am wondering if it's possible to retrofit a tank onto a tankless compressor at some later time. I'm looking at getting the Paasche D500SR, which is $119 at Dixie Art, and maybe adding a tank later.

Can this be done?

Thanks!
Jeff
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Theoretically with hard lines and the right valving it could be done.
Abolish Alliteration
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

You could, however I would not recommend that compressor.

I used to use one sans regulator, and it is noisy and vibrates a lot, it's loud enough that you can't have a conversation over the noise, as an example.

The tank would cut down on the amount of time you have to run the compressor, but it's still a very noisy compressor.

Considering the cost of the compressor, tank, and related hardware, my suggestion is to look into purchasing a 20# C02 tank. My tank, regulator and adapter hose cost around $180 about 7-8 years ago, that may vary depending what's available locally. I mainly do 1/48 jets, and my best year of production was 6 models, and I didn't have to refill the tank until the next year, guys that do a model a month can normally go all year without a refill, although if you mess up and have to redo a paint job, that counts as another model in terms of use.

I'll never go back to a hobby compressor.

Ken
jgoldader

Post by jgoldader »

Ken,

I had a friend who's retiring from work offer me a scuba tank. Is that something that could be filled with CO2 or N2? (Why use CO2 instead of nitrogen anyway? Any idea? N2 is non-reactive, and certainly not poisonous, since it's 80% of the air we already breathe.) I just thought getting the fittings right would be a nightmare.

I'd love to find a noiseless, inexpensive way to do this. See, my wife doesn't even know I bought the airbrush yet... :oops:

I got a great deal at the Badger garage sale, and I can build a spray booth for about $100 if I use a bilge blower for ventilation, but $120+ for a compressor starts to make me nervous.

Thanks!

Jeff
kenlilly106 wrote:You could, however I would not recommend that compressor.

I used to use one sans regulator, and it is noisy and vibrates a lot, it's loud enough that you can't have a conversation over the noise, as an example.

The tank would cut down on the amount of time you have to run the compressor, but it's still a very noisy compressor.

Considering the cost of the compressor, tank, and related hardware, my suggestion is to look into purchasing a 20# C02 tank. My tank, regulator and adapter hose cost around $180 about 7-8 years ago, that may vary depending what's available locally. I mainly do 1/48 jets, and my best year of production was 6 models, and I didn't have to refill the tank until the next year, guys that do a model a month can normally go all year without a refill, although if you mess up and have to redo a paint job, that counts as another model in terms of use.

I'll never go back to a hobby compressor.

Ken
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

jgoldader wrote:Ken,
I had a friend who's retiring from work offer me a scuba tank. Is that something that could be filled with CO2 or N2?
Probably not, I'm pretty sure that the connections are different so as to prevent someone from filling a scuba tank with CO2 or N2.

With the right regulator setup, you could use the scuba tank as an air source, you may want to ask an industrial gas supplier about hooking up a scuba tank this way.
(Why use CO2 instead of nitrogen anyway? Any idea? N2 is non-reactive, and certainly not poisonous, since it's 80% of the air we already breathe.)

Nitrogen doesn't compress as easily as CO2 does, so a 20# cylinder of CO2 will last longer than the same size cylinder of N2. Plus CO2 can be cheaper due to its use in the beverage industry, just depends on the local market.

The big danger is that either 2 gases could displace enough O2 to cause problems, a 100% N2 atmosphere will suffocate you just as fast as 100% CO2 will. :shock:
I'd love to find a noiseless, inexpensive way to do this. See, my wife doesn't even know I bought the airbrush yet... :oops:
Ah! Now we know the real reason. :D
but $120+ for a compressor starts to make me nervous.
If you want to go with a compressor, I'd look at one with a tank from the hardware store.

You can get one with a tank for the same or just a little more than you would spend on a 'hobby' one, but with the ability to use the compressor for other things like filling car tires, inflatable toys, air tools, etc. Noise level would be similar to the 'hobby' type, but with the tank advantage the compressor will not run all the time.

Silent type compressors are expensive, but good if you're going to do a lot of airbrushing (ie for a living), or you can't go with a gas bottle or a regular compressor.

Ken
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

A compressor is an investment. Mine is over 10 years old. I treat it like crap, run it so long it hot enough to blister, shove it in the corner, and it works flawlessly.

The only reason, and this is an only, is that it's on the noisy side and I'd like to be able to paint later into the night. IIRC I paid close to $200 when I bought it, the same compressor now runs $270 and is blue (Badger 180-11).

Instead of buying a cheap compressor (like those $30 Harbor Freight ones) get an airtank for $30 and fill it from somebody else's compressor. Then save the nickels and dimes for at least a 180-11.
Abolish Alliteration
darkwolf29a

Post by darkwolf29a »

So, if I had a 2 gallon compressor in my garage, could I get small tank, fill it and run an airbrush off of it? I do my painting indoors, due to the winter being so cold up here, but I don't want to run my 2 gallon compressor inside..it'd deafen me. LOL

THanks for any info, and what has been put out so far...You're seriously answering a lot of my questions here. :)

Thanks,
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Yep, a lot of people do the same thing for the same reasons as you.

You'll need a regulator for the tank and whatever fittings it takes to go from the tank output to the regulator to your airbrush hose. Some tanks come with regulators.

Last time I read about a rig like this, a 5-gallon tank filled to 80-100psi will last about 5 minutes of continuous spraying @ 10-15psi output.

Ken
darkwolf29a

Post by darkwolf29a »

Great info. :) You've just saved me $100. :) I can get a tank from Napa that will hook up to my regular compressor, for about $20 or so. It's just a new airbrush I need. :) I have an older one, with no real control over the width, etc. I'll have to figure some stuff out. :) Thanks again.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

You're welcome, glad I could help.

If you're looking for a new airbrush, check out the Badger garage sale at their website, they've had some really good deals available.

Ken
jgoldader

Post by jgoldader »

kenlilly106 wrote:You're welcome, glad I could help.

If you're looking for a new airbrush, check out the Badger garage sale at their website, they've had some really good deals available.

Ken
That's where I got mine!

FWIW, in reading up on using scuba tanks for airbrushing, a new wrinkle appeared: it may not be possible to get the tank refilled unless you're a licensed diver.

I'm starting to lean towards a gas cylinder from the local welding supply folks. Looks as if I can get away for $120 or so if I buy used equipment.

Jeff
jgoldader

Post by jgoldader »

Hi folks,

Okay, here's how it worked out. I ended up buying a 5-gallon air tank (max 125 psi) and small compressor (120 psi) today. All I need is to get a regulator & moisture trap, and I'm in business. Total expense to this point: $71. Even with a regulator, I should be able to stay below $100.

Jeff
darkwolf29a

Post by darkwolf29a »

Very cool, Jeff. :)

I'd love to see a pic or two of the setup once you... git'r'done. :D I'll likely pick my tank up from Napa this weekend. :)