Stripping LEDs from Christmas lights

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

cygaramond

Stripping LEDs from Christmas lights

Post by cygaramond »

I remember reading, quite some time ago, an article here on SSM about how to properly strip the LEDs out of a string of Christmas lights and what resistors were best to use with them. My wife, wonderful woman that she is, came home with a string of LED Christmas lights she found on sale quite awhile ago for me to use for just this purpose and I'm finally on a project to use them.

And now I can't find the "how to" article I remember. Can anyone help me out on this? A simple link to that article (if it still exsists) would be great as would a quick paragraph just telling me what to do.

Thanks.

-Chad
I'm a writer of wrongs.

-Richard Castle
Jades Dark Heart

Post by Jades Dark Heart »

Here is the one I did on BHP on how to clear out the phillips LED Christmas lights. Hope this helps

http://www.blockheadpictures.com/phillipsleds.html
The Captain Cardboard X-Wing Project! See it at http://www.blockheadpictures.com

Anything Worth Doing, is Worth OVER Doing!!! JDH2008
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

So once you have the LED's removed what value resistor would you recommend ? 100 ohm ? I have the battery powered string which uses 6 volts IIRC.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

YELLOW, AMBER, RED, most GREEN LEDs tend to operate best at between 1.8 and 2.4 volts.

WHITE, some GREEN, most BLUE LEDs are happiest at between 3.4 and 3.6 volts.

So, take your 6 volts supply voltage, subtract the operating voltage of your LED, allow 0.020 amps for the LED and apply Ohm's law.

6 - 3.4 = 2.6 volts to be 'dropped'.

E=IR or R=E/I or R = 2.6 / .020

or = 130 ohms or a bit more.

Etc.

Hope I'm not being clear as MUDD, even though he was a favorite Trek character of mine.

:D
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

en'til Zog wrote:YELLOW, AMBER, RED, most GREEN LEDs tend to operate best at between 1.8 and 2.4 volts.

WHITE, some GREEN, most BLUE LEDs are happiest at between 3.4 and 3.6 volts.

So, take your 6 volts supply voltage, subtract the operating voltage of your LED, allow 0.020 amps for the LED and apply Ohm's law.

6 - 3.4 = 2.6 volts to be 'dropped'.

E=IR or R=E/I or R = 2.6 / .020

or = 130 ohms or a bit more.

Etc.

Hope I'm not being clear as MUDD, even though he was a favorite Trek character of mine.

:D
Cool. Thanks for doing the math for me.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"