Building my own paint booth

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

ionic1000

Building my own paint booth

Post by ionic1000 »

I have been wanting a spray booth for quite some time now. But I must admit I have been leary considering the hefty price tag. So I put it off in favor of just painting on a table on the front porch. Winter is fast approaching and I would prefer not freezing off my nether regions trying to make that perfect coat(plus the shaking probably won't help! :D ) As far as building the box and so forth I believe I can handle that well but what about a exhaust fan. I have been considering using a bathroom ceiling fan vent thingy but I am unsure how much CFM I need! Any suggestions you can give would be appreciated especially if I forgot something!
Picard, "Data, I'm sure it's a fascinating experience, but perhaps you should deactivate your emotion chip for now."
Data, "Good idea, sir."
Click
Data, "Done."
Picard, "Data, there are times that I envy you."
ionic1000

Post by ionic1000 »

BTW: I run a badger 360 airbrush with a tabletop compressor if it matters!
Picard, "Data, I'm sure it's a fascinating experience, but perhaps you should deactivate your emotion chip for now."
Data, "Good idea, sir."
Click
Data, "Done."
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

My rule of thumb, if you want enough cfm to spray damned near anything, if 80cfm per cubic foot of booth. Use a furnace filter to take care of the particulates & vent the rest outside.
Abolish Alliteration
ionic1000

Post by ionic1000 »

I've heard some people talk about making sure the exhaust fan is explosion proof, is that something I should worry about? How would I know that? Any perticular exhaust fan/ blower/ pump I should look for?
Data, "Good idea, sir."
Click
Data, "Done."
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

What you want is a blower that doesn't have the motor in the airflow.

Unlike most household vent fans.
Abolish Alliteration
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

One of our IPMS chapter members posted an interesting article on our web-site. http://www.ipmstristate.org/tipsanddisasters.htm

Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I hope it helps.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

Here are a few pics of the booth I built a couple years ago. I used a standard bathroom fan. I'm not sure what the fan's cfm rating is but it's served me well (even when using rattle cans). It's not the kind that's considered "safe" (the motor is in the path of he airflow" but it hasn't exploded on my yet.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
ionic1000

Post by ionic1000 »

I never even thought of using one of those tubs as a booth! (Rethinking everything now!) Has anyone ever had one blow up on them?
Data, "Good idea, sir."
Click
Data, "Done."
Lichtbringer

Post by Lichtbringer »

Are you looking for something like that?

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc35 ... ild041.jpg
Have a nice day.

Bye,
Michael

I´m just a simple man, trying to glue my way in the universe.
http://s527.photobucket.com/home/Lichtbote/allalbums
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

I can't take credit for the plastic tub idea. Folks have been building paint booths out of tupperware/rubbermaid tubs for years. I actually took my que from another member on these boards (I think it was Ziz?).

This sort of design comes in handy in a bunch of ways. For one, it's relatively portable. I can just put all the pieces and parts of the booth inside and put the top on to get it out of the way if need be. Also, being able to put the top on allows me to use the booth as a relatively dust free drying environment. After painting is done, I just close the lid and leave the fan on. Seems to help with drying times in the right conditions too.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
Devin

Post by Devin »

Here's a few step-by-step shots of how I built my plastic tub spray booth:

http://www.devinjpoore.com/models/booth.htm

I've been tweaking this design for the past 15 years or so, I made the first one out of a 20mm Phalanx ammo box while in the Navy; a little small, but I was only doing D&D figures back then. Since these photos I've upgraded the fan mount in the window so that it's one-piece and much nicer to look at.
"Just slow it down. I'll shoot Hitler out the window."
-Professor Farnsworth