liquid nails

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

david bailey

liquid nails

Post by david bailey »

Has anyone tried the new size liquid nails adhesives for modeling?I just was curious and thought i might purchase some and try it,to see if it was better than some of the glues, and adshesives.I try to use different glues and adsshives for different jobs and i thought this might be good to use for scratch building.I'm curious what others use[the pros and cons].I would like to see what others use and recommend.I use different types of stuff,but i thought others could shed some light on what they use.
david bailey
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

The only thing I've ever used it for was to repair a cracked display base. It held fast.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

My first question would be, which Liquid Nails product? Some are just repackaged CA, others are the equivalent of E6000 or Gorilla Glue.
Abolish Alliteration
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

If it's the 'Liquid Nails' we get in the UK (white in colour), it's just PVA wood adhesive but twice the price. The name is simply useless marketing speak.
There is no such word as "casted" or "recasted". The past tense of "cast" is still "cast". Only bisexually hermaphrodites add the "ed". - Churchill August 1942.

"Lose" = Mislay/Fail to win.
"Loose" = Slack/Not tight - John Lennon June 81
marcus0311

Post by marcus0311 »

I know the glue you're talking about. I've used it to repair wood furniture around the house, but never as an adheisive for styrene. I have thought about it though. The only thing I'd caution you on is that it tends to spread like that liquid foam stuff as it cures. If you use it make sure to use it sparingly. When it hardens it can be sanded, and machined. Also, be careful not to get it onto anything you don't want to get it on, it can be a bit of a pain to get off without leaving a mark. It's also messy as hell. If you get it on your fingers the best thing to get it off is to use laquer thinner to scrub with. If you use it for scratch building let us know how it turns out.
THE SECRET TO VICTORY...IS THE VIOLENT PATH TO PEACE-Scorpius(Farscape,Peacekeeper Wars).
I WANT ALL GUNCAPTAINS TO FIRE TILL THEY'RE OUT OF AMMO...THEN I WANT THEM START THROWING ROCKS! (Adama,BSG finale).

"COME ON YOU SONS OF BITCHES!DO YOU WANT TO LIVE FOR EVER?"(GunnerySergeant Dan Daly-Battle of Belleau Wood-WWI)
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

If you're talking about Liquid Nails construction adhesive, it does hold very well but may eat the styrene. That's why they make the white version for gluing foam insulation board or even vinyl base. It doesn't hold as well though.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?