Problems with resin casting

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Blappy

Post by Blappy »

macfrank wrote:
Blappy wrote:Did you even try the "shaking" solution?
I tried shaking and tapping the mold, even as far as putting it on top of my old compressor and have it vibrate the bubbles out. It works for the larger bubbles, but the Alumilite clear sets so quickly that some bubbles (mostly tiny ones) still get trapped.
I meant shaking the bottles of resin before mixing them to solve the goo problem.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Balok

Post by Balok »

So I used the Castin' Crafts' resin and then baked it as per Atlantis' suggestion, and it worked pretty well. I baked some of the tap resin too and that also worked. The tap resin however need a lot longer in the mold before it can come out and is stickier when it does come out. The result in both cases is pretty similar after baking. The Castin' Crafts was a little better at having the bubbles float out and the resin is very clear.
<i>
Always remember
we stand on the roof of Hell
gazing at flowers.
</i>
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

Glad I could be of assistance

After trying both Tap and Smooth-On clear resins, and having mixed results even with vacuuming, I'm sticking with the Castin' Craft

Though I'm still sold on Smooth-On for opaque resin

Atlantis