Beginner Airbrush

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Wazzu

Beginner Airbrush

Post by Wazzu »

Im looking at learning to airbrush, id like to buy something that will last me longer than just learning the basics. or something basic but decent. also im looking to not break the bank.. so perhaps 100 bucks, or +- 30. and what kind of paints. ive been using Games-Workshop paints and i feel that i want to get something a bit better..

thanks for your input
When J. Robert Oppenheimer said "I am become death, the destroyer Of worlds", He was not referring to the atomic bomb. He was referring to the Chuck Norris halloween costume he was wearing.
RickDTM

Post by RickDTM »

Wazzu - I would recommend the Iwata Revolution series, especially the CR top feed dbl action. It will run you around $68 thru Dixie Art (see it here...http://www.dixieart.com/Iwata_Revolutio ... ushes.html

It's a good entry level brush, that will be able to do whatever you want it to do.

Happy Hunting!

Rick
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

A friend and I just bought the CR and he has been using it since he got it and he feels that this will be his last airbrush, he loves it that much. He does figures and other model kits with it.

I just have to sit down and try it out.

So, I have to say, you can't go wrong with the CR as RICKDTM stated.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

For my money the Paasche model H is the best simple brush going.

http://www.dixieart.com/HSet.html

I had one for 30 years and it works as good as the day I got it. I still use it apply gloss and flat coats.

I also have a Model VL which I think is the simplest double action on the market. That is the brush I use the most.

http://www.dixieart.com/PaascheVL.html

Hope this helps,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
BALTA1

Post by BALTA1 »

I have the BCR which is the bottom feed revolution and I think that it feels better than my Badger 150 but both perform well. Try and go to a shop where you can pick up and feel the airbrush in your hand and pick the one that feels more comfortable.
Stir not the bitterness in the cup I have mixed for myself!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I would also recomend the Iwata. I've owned a Paasche VL, a Badger (something, mid-eightes) and a Thayer & Chandler and nothing puts up with abuse like my Iwata Eclipse.

In 3 years I've replaced 3 parts, one due to my own abuse. No other brush I've ever owned cost so little to maint.

Try Dixie, you can get one for about $90.
Abolish Alliteration