Help with resin

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

ROM

Help with resin

Post by ROM »

Anyone out there use Mr. Resin in an airbrush? Is it cut with lacquer thinner in the same way as with Mr. surfacer products? Planning on working on some resin figures soon. Thanks!
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

I've used it. It's basically the same stuff as Mr. Surfacer. Don't use lacquer thinner in it though, you'll get spider webbing. I use Mr. Thinner and Mr. Retarder to thin it, so far I haven't found anything else that works without causing the webbing. It's like shooting silly string!

Erin
<*>
How about a nice cup of STFU?
http://www.fpkclub.com/ugh-models
Ti Raven

Post by Ti Raven »

That webbing could be an interesting effect for a wall piece's background.... Hmmmmmm... :-k
* Joyously Celebrating the Mysteries of Chocolate
*Artistically Whimsical
ROM

Post by ROM »

Thanks for the tips! How much of retarder and thinner do you use to get the right consistency for airbrushing?
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

I dunno, I just kinda eyeball it. You don't need much retarder. Gunze paints can be thinned out big time before they become useless, that's part of the reason I like them. If you're doing a big job using lots of paint, make sure you continually stir it up to keep it in solution. I've noticed that it separates pretty quickly.

So, if I'm using the color cup on the airbrush what I do with most any paint is pour in the paint, then add about 1/4 of that amount in thinner. Depending on the brand and the color you may have to add more or less. I check to make sure it's thin enough by dipping a stick into the paint then putting it up against the side of the cup and watching how it flows. Properly thinned it should flow off the side of the cup fast and leave color clinging to the cup. If it flows off the cup side and doesn't leave color it's thinned too much. If it leaves a thick layer on the side of the cup, it needs more thinner.

As I said, I kinda just eyeball it.

Erin
<*>
How about a nice cup of STFU?
http://www.fpkclub.com/ugh-models
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I go close to half and half, Mr Resin Primer and Mr Leveling Thinner.
Abolish Alliteration
ROM

Post by ROM »

I'm gonna get some Mr. thinner. I've heard of the problems with spider webs and have no interest in spinning those out :) I'm gonna try for the milky consistency that usually works. I have heard of people doing well with lacquer but I'll stick with the same product line. Usually can't go wrong. Thanks again, all :D
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Blappy turned me onto the Mr Leveling Thinner. Works like a charm.
Abolish Alliteration
ROM

Post by ROM »

Oh just another question....are we talking about mr. leveling thinner as opposed to mr. color thinner? Will they act differently with mr. resin primer? I got a little confused :?
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

Mr. Leveling Thinner has the Mr. Retarder already added in.
ROM

Post by ROM »

Gotcha! :thumbsup: