Trouble with Gundam Markers.

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Vargen666

Trouble with Gundam Markers.

Post by Vargen666 »

I must sound like a n00b when reading this subject's title - But yes, I'm having trouble with my fancy new Gundam Markers. They get constipated (is this the right word).What I did is, after painting my model I put a layer of "Parket Plus" (which is Future in the USA) over it. Then, 24hrs later, I traced the panellines with the Gundam Markers. But somehow they very quickly stop flowing ink. And it's difficult getting them to work again.

Does anyone know what causes this? Is it just as simple as they can't be used over Future?

Hope you guys can help!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Ah, what's happening is the solvent in the markers is dissolving the top layer of acrylic which thens gets into the micro holes that make up the tip of the marker and then re-solidify causing the blockage.

Two things can help. Well three maybe. One, let the clear acrylic cure for about 3 days (5 if it's humid) to fully cure. Two, use a light 'draw on, wipe off' method of outlining panels. Three, get ahold of the Gundam weathering markers and use the black from it, it's water based. Four, yes, use a differetn clear coat.

As a BTB you can clear the markers using a touch of denatured alchohol or some fluid from a Gundam Erasure marker.

Or, you can also find fine water based or solvent based markers in your local art store. Look for the Sakura brand.
Abolish Alliteration
Vargen666

Post by Vargen666 »

Thanks Kylwell.

I think I'll start with cleaning my markers then. :D

For the model I'm working on (1/60 Patlabor Alphonse) I'm not sure what I'll do with it. I've had some other problems with it, so maybe I'll completely strip it or maybe I'll just put it in the box like this and wait for my 1/35 kits to arrive.
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

I have to admit defeat myslef when trying to use Gundm paint sticks. Threy are fine for small areas such as undercarriage on fighters etc but doing larger areas :roll:

I look through Hobby Japan and see articles where the modeller has finished a model in a razor sharp paint job jut by "drawing" the colour on and dispair.

I now revert back to the old school method of masking and spraying in tamiya acrylics.

But their fine line pens are a godsend for panel lines on SF models and 1/144 aircraft...
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!