Cleaning resin parts before building

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Trek 1701

Cleaning resin parts before building

Post by Trek 1701 »

I recently purchased a Starcrafts Akira Class resin model, and I want to remove the release agent from the model before I build it. The instructions say to use Comet or Ajax. Would this mean soaking the model and scrubbing it? Would Comet cleaner be harsh on a resin model by removing surface detail? Would old-fashioned soap and water remove the "greasy" release agent?

I would like to know. Thanks! :)
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

For Vishnu's sake, don't use that crap! Soak it in Simple Green or something similar that will dissolve the release without gouging up your resin!
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
Trek 1701

Post by Trek 1701 »

I thought Comet was a really harsh cleaner. That's why I haven't done anything yet. Soaking the model in pure Simple Green sounds much safer.
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Late on this... but I use Castrol Super Clean. I leave it in for about an hour and scrub it down and then put it under running water and scrub it again.

Remember to use gloves.

Been using this stuff on all of my resin kits.

Sometimes I cut it with some water if I don't have too many pieces to clean.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

The Starcrafts stuff I've built has responded fine to dish soap and toothbrush. No soaking required. Prime it with something nice and you'll be fine.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

Doing my own casting with Smooth-On and Castin' Craft I've found that the dish-soap/toothbrush method removes the release agent I use quite well and makes the resin ready for building

Also use a coat or two of a good primer with some wet-sanding and you're good to go
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
Antenociti

Post by Antenociti »

We had a complaint from a customer about mould release on a one of our models so spent some time testing it to see what got rid of it the best.

wiping it off with tissue paper first, followed by a soak in SG and a light scrub was the best method.

Sadly all the effort was a tad rather wasted as the customer later realised the model he had a problem with wasnt made by us. :roll:
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Don't think of it as a waste but that you now have an answer to that question if someone asks.