Thanks for all the tips on airbrushing folks!

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

modeler1964

Thanks for all the tips on airbrushing folks!

Post by modeler1964 »

Being a noob to airbrushing is quite intimidating but thanks to the advice I have read here I am now on my way. I bought an Iwata HP CS and have been trying it out. Today was the first time I ever sprayed a model. I used MM Acryl Light Ghost Grey and mixed it with MM Acryl airbrush thinner 60% paint and 40% thinner( I tried to find the liquitex airbrush medium but Hobby Lobby was out or I would have used a little of that in the mix as well). I set my pressure around 18 psi and what do you know. It was a breeze! I just told myself not to be in a hurry and misted on light coats with no runs, splatter, or tip dry. I cleaned the brush with windex and the thinner when i was finished. Thanks one and all for all of the tips!

My thoughts on beginning to airbrush for what its worth:
1. Don't get a cheap brush, they will only frustrate the heck out of you and turn you off to airbrushing altogether. (happened to me)
2. Thin thin thin preferably with the paint manufacturers brand stuff.
3. Pay attention if mixing colors, which paints are compatible across brands.
and the most important:
4. Practice and DO NOT RUSH.
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

My addition to this would be as follows:
If it's not going right, if you're just not "feeling" it; set it aside and come back to it another day.

I've tried to force the paint to do what I wanted it to do, after a stressful day, or when I have other pressures on my mind; and that always ends up in spraying the model with Windex and starting over from scratch.

Glad to hear you're keeping with it! Have Fun and enjoy your new brush :D
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK