Gunze paints.

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

MRF

Gunze paints.

Post by MRF »

Hi there.

Two fast questions:

1.What's better ? Aqueos or solvent base Gunze ?

2.And, since I have some amount aqueos paints to use, I need to know proportions of mixing them with water (demineralised of course) - for all finishes - gloss, semi-gloss and matt.
Why so serious ?
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I've never used the solvent-based Mr. Color. I very much like Gunze's acrylic for airbrushing, though. I don't know how many people switch between the enamel and acrylic enough to really make comparisons.

I can say I find the acrylic very easy and forgiving to airbrush. I usually thin with isopropyl alcohol and water.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I use Gunze acrylics once in a while, as I don't have many. The local hobby store I bought them from moved. I switched to Tamiya acrylics as they're easier to find. Thin them as Terry said.

I only run acrylics through my airbrush. Everything else is too much of a pain for me.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

To date I have used one Gunze solvent based. Thinned 2:1 with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner (2 parts paint, 1 part thinner) it went down like it was made for the model. Also showed every stinking little flaw.

I thin the Gunze acrylics with Tamiya thinner, same ratio. Or you can use the Mr. Color Leveling Thinner if one wishes a little hotter paint.

A lot of people use windshield washer fluid to thin their acrylics, which is a combination of alcohol & water with a touch of soap and anti-foaming agent.
Abolish Alliteration
MRF

Post by MRF »

Thanks for the tips.
I've also read somewhere that denaturated alcohol is best suited for thinning aqueos Gunze. Just for sure - denaturated alcohol is the one purple alcohol using for cleaning oily surfaces ? (In Poland we simply call it "denaturat" :wink:) It's stained purple with some toxic chemical to stop possibility of drinking. I don't know if the same goes in other countries...
And if we talk about the same, I believe that its purple color is not a problem for thining ?
Why so serious ?
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I prefer 95% Isopropyl alcohol - "rubbing alcohol" from the grocery/pharmacy.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati