Paint Chip Samples?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Mike

Paint Chip Samples?

Post by Mike »

Hi- I was wondering if model paint companies had pamphlets with paint chips on them. My LHS has a limited amount of paints from Tamiya and model masters so I tried ordering Humbrol and Vallejo paints from the Internet. The colors don't always come out like I envisioned. It's hard to determine what the colors are going to end up like based on the little square sample on the monitor. From what I've seen, the colors aren't even scans of the actual color either, they are just from a paint program's color pallet.

I guess if you are building accurate millitary models all you really need to know is the name but for sci-fi building where you can use your own colors it would be helpful to have a good reference.

Thanks,
Mike
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Humbrol do a paint-chip pamphlet and I think Citadel do too. If you're having trouble getting these in the States, pm me and I'll see what I can do.

Most 'chips' on the screen are interpretations in RGB of the mixture used to make the paint. Every monitor is different and even the brightness and contrast settings can change an on-screen chip completely. Thnigs like metallics just don't work at all. I've found better results by printing these onto photo paper using photo settings.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson