Blinking led question

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

kahless78

Blinking led question

Post by kahless78 »

I see that you can get blinking leds. Now can I just wire them up to my power source and they will blink? Or do I have to get additional parts to make them blink?
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

The ones advertised as "Blinking" contain a micro-circuit in them to cause the blinking effect

No need for additional parts - except AS ALWAYS, a resistor - use the same calcs for the blinky's as for standards

One note - blinky LEDs have notoriously had a much shorter life than standards - something about how they blink

This is not true with standard LED's that have a blinky circuit to drive them
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
Mr. Engineer

Post by Mr. Engineer »

Yep, you have to use a resistor just like any other LEDs. You don't want it to go blink.. blink.. pop...
What can I take apart today?

https://www.facebook.com/PisceanWorks
CanabisRex

Post by CanabisRex »

well, here's an amended question for the same subject..how do you set up a blinking circuit?
IF Julius Cesar were anything, like me, he'd realize that "friends" are just people who are too scared to stab you in the back.
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

CanabisRex wrote:well, here's an amended question for the same subject..how do you set up a blinking circuit?
Simplist

Capacitor and two resistors feeding into a 555 timer

This schematic yields This blinking

By varying the values of R4, R5 and C2 you can vary the pattern

The Diode (D1) is in there to give a less than 50% duty cycle - normally, with 555 timer circuits, your LED has to be ON at least 50% of the time

By putting the diode in parallel with R5, you invert the duty cycle making it less than 50%
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
tetsujin

Post by tetsujin »

USS Atlantis wrote: The Diode (D1) is in there to give a less than 50% duty cycle - normally, with 555 timer circuits, your LED has to be ON at least 50% of the time

By putting the diode in parallel with R5, you invert the duty cycle making it less than 50%
Alternately, you could just hook the other end of the diode to the 555 output - make the 555 "sink" current rather than "drive" current...

So set up the 555 for an 85% duty cycle, but hook the LED cathode to the output instead of the LED anode, and then you've effectively got a 15% duty cycle.
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.