X-30 Expanding Foam

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

davelant

X-30 Expanding Foam

Post by davelant »

I read an article in Fine Scale Modeler, February 2009 about making model kits more structurally robust. One tip was to fill the body cavity with X-30 expanding foam from TAP Plastics. Within a couple days, I unexpectedly acquired a vinyl figure model, and I thought X-30 might be just the thing to fill the voids. So far, I have just tested the foam in a clear plastic mailing tube, and was pleased with the working time, strength, and ability to accept a wooden skewer, secured with CA glue. This might be handy in pinning the limbs to the body. Pictures and more description here:

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j47/d ... 30%20foam/
Wug

Post by Wug »

Hi davelant,

Filling vinyl kits with foam is a standard practice. Modelers used Mountains in Minutes, a two-part urethane foam for model railroaders. I'm not sure if its still available. If anyone knows where to buy it please let me know.

I've used aerosol cans of urethane foam sealant from the hardware store. The regular foam works okay. The "Minimal Expansion" foam expanded with so much force it distorted parts.

You should be okay if your foam doesn't expand with too much force. The foam I've used sticks to everything. It will ruin clothing and carpets. I'll wrap the parts I'm filling with Saran Wrap to keep the foam off the outside of the parts.

hth

Mike