Fibre optics and super glue

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Qrest Fourstar

Fibre optics and super glue

Post by Qrest Fourstar »

So, last summer, I ran almost all the FO's I wanted into my CCX cockpit. (for pix, go here:http://paulsplasticpalace.spaces.live.com/)

So, after oogling the thing sitting in the fuselage, I decided to finish it up. I pulled it out of the fuselage, and unbundled 2 of the 3 FO bundles! :evil: :cry: :!:

Since I'm going to Wonder fest 08, I need something to enter and it should probably be this thing since its "almost done"(shyeah, right, and monkey's might fly out my butt). I need to 'tighten up' some of the FO's. would it hurt to pull the FO out just a bit, put a tiny amount of Superglue behind it and pull it back into place? I know Super glue can fog.

Or would you use a different glue?

Your thoughts?
-Paul

"She may not look like much, But she's got it where It counts kid." -Han Solo
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Re: Fibre optics and super glue

Post by USS Atlantis »

Paul Heaberlin wrote:So, last summer, I ran almost all the FO's I wanted into my CCX cockpit. (for pix, go here:http://paulsplasticpalace.spaces.live.com/)

So, after oogling the thing sitting in the fuselage, I decided to finish it up. I pulled it out of the fuselage, and unbundled 2 of the 3 FO bundles! :evil: :cry: :!:

Since I'm going to Wonder fest 08, I need something to enter and it should probably be this thing since its "almost done"(shyeah, right, and monkey's might fly out my butt). I need to 'tighten up' some of the FO's. would it hurt to pull the FO out just a bit, put a tiny amount of Superglue behind it and pull it back into place? I know Super glue can fog.

Or would you use a different glue?

Your thoughts?
Different glue - CA (Cyanoacrylics) - I.E. Every super glue out there, cause the fibers in FO to become brittle. Any little movement of the strand could cause it to shatter where the CA glue has touched it

Go with a 2-part epoxy or a white glue

Atlantis
rpauly

Post by rpauly »

Depends on the FO. If it's glass fiber, there shouldn't be a problem if it's plastic, then CA can make it quite brittle. You might try Elmers.
Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

CA does indeed make plastic fibers brittle, the accelerator stuff makes it even more so.

I read a couple of threads on this, try elmer's white or similar. Heck, maybe even rubber cement might be a good go but I've not tried it (yet).

-JC.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
suwalski

Post by suwalski »

I usually apply a tiny amount of CA to the hole before I put the fiber in. That holds it. When all the fibers are in place and it's all dry, I apply a nice amount of epoxy. The idea is that the epoxy grasps areas of the fiber that have not been exposed to CA.
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

What I have used was hot glue. Pull the strand thru and use the glue gun (small version). It is not hot enough to melt the strand... but then I am not using the thin strands.

I have also used white chaulking from a tube. But it has depended upon the use. Once dry it is flexable which can be a help.
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

I've used silicone caulk from a tube before to good advantage.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
Newbie Doobie

fiberoptics,and superglue

Post by Newbie Doobie »

I know this is an old thread, but I hope that all who read this will be able to benefit from it. O:) I use hot melt glue, even on small strands. I have no problem with it. I use Bob smith industries superglue gel to secure my larger strands. This way, I don't have to worry about them becoming brittle and breaking off! I hope this helps! :wink:
Last edited by Newbie Doobie on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

I was under the understanding that CA would damage FO? :?
Newbie Doobie

Post by Newbie Doobie »

Not neccessarily true in all cases! It depends on whose fiberoptics you're using and what the size of the wire you're using! Most people use superlgue, but they use too much and then flex the fiberoptic wire and break it without knowing that the wire itself isn't flexable once glued!
Last edited by Newbie Doobie on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Ah... my understanding is that the CA crazes the FO... makes it brittle and then the FO breaks down and... poof!
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

starmanmm wrote:Ah... my understanding is that the CA crazes the FO... makes it brittle and then the FO breaks down and... poof!
That's been my experience - the plastic FO fiber will snap right at the CA joint.

Are there CA glues that don't have this property? Maybe. There are better glues for fiber optics than CA, anyway.
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

I'm currently under the impression that epoxie will not harm FO.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I had terrible luck with epoxy holding a single fiber to the face of an LED, and they were buried in a tube so getting them put back in place was not possible after the epoxy failed.

Try the orderless CA and do not use kicker. The orderless reduces/eliminates the fumes that eat at clear plastics. And kicker exasperates this issue.
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

I've actually had some good luck with 'Household Cement' from the "Original Super Glue" people

It's got M.E.K. and Acetone in it, but does not appear to attack plastic FO strands, and holds them nice and tight

You can probably get it just about anywhere - I've seen it at Target and Michaels

Here's a link to the makers page to show you what you're looking for
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
Newbie Doobie

Post by Newbie Doobie »

Sorry! You guys are right! :oops: Superglue works well, but like I said before,this is only if you are not going to be moving your fiberoptics around. :? I have broken my share of fiberoptics handling them too much and redrilled them because of this! :( Hot melt glue is your best bet!
Last edited by Newbie Doobie on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
jim

Post by jim »

Fabric glue works real well. It is slightly flexable also.
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Any specific brand?
jim

Post by jim »

Not really they all will be flexable. They are like elmers only not as stiff.