Galactica help

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

mileslegionis

Galactica help

Post by mileslegionis »

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place, but I'd like advice on how to tone down the "blue" aspect of my Titanium Ultra Galactica. It's been more than a few years since I've done modeling, and I never experimented much with weathering. Here is a close-up of it

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d24/m ... 0_0413.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d24/m ... 0_0068.jpg

The second shot was taken when it was not under direct light, but when you look close it has that blue'ish tint to it, instead of the gray that I typically think of and see on tv.

I've got Jeffrey sending me some missing decals for the flight pods (I still can't believe Hasbro did that). I'm also trying to think of, and am taking ideas, for a new display mount, as the plastic they provide looks cheap. I've seen some nice disks with the BSG logo on it, but am not sure how to go about that.

All ideas and suggestions are most welcome. Thanks in advance!

Guy
Best,

Guy
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Hello,

I edited your post because we do not allow in-line images.

To answer your question, you could try drybrushing with a color that is not a blue leaning grey. Testors model masters has a "primer" color that is fairly neutral grey. It comes in an enamel and acrylic.

Cheers,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
mileslegionis

Post by mileslegionis »

Mark Yungblut wrote:Hello,

I edited your post because we do not allow in-line images.

To answer your question, you could try drybrushing with a color that is not a blue leaning grey. Testors model masters has a "primer" color that is fairly neutral grey. It comes in an enamel and acrylic.

Cheers,

Mark
Sorry about that. I didn't realize there was a no-image stipulation. I'll bear that in mind next time, thanks.

You mean to get just a bit on the brush, then brush most off, then lightly dust with the little bit left? What type of brush do you recommend? Bear in mind, it's been ten years since I picked up a model brush.....

I'll look around the threads to see if you have some general brushing tips for how to best apply this.

Thanks,

Guy
Best,

Guy
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

I would suggest a flat brush for this. You have the basic idea right about the dry brushing. Just remember the key to drybrushing is to remove most if not what seems like all of the paint on the brush before you try painting

I alway have a piece of cardboard to test the brush on. The darker the board in this case the better as it will give you an idea of how much paint is coming off of the brush.

Try searching youtube to see if there is a demo on drybrushing.

Cheers,

Mark
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

- Dilbert
mileslegionis

Post by mileslegionis »

Okay, I've been watching the vids, and it is what I thought. Question is: for this particular metal model, would I use a small tip or larger brush? You said "flat" so are you meaning fan shaped?

I think when they made this model, they made the gray overcoat to small, and it comes out like some freaky shark, and not the nearly solid gray that it should be. Plus, now I'm noticing that the red strips and such must have been painted last, b/c they don't have any sign of age on them. The inside of the flightpods are not painted either, and they should have a black landing strip.

Last question, should I just buy black and silver to make my own gray, since that would allow me to make a closer shade? I notice that all the tutorials have lighter coats over darker, whereas here I'm putting a darker over a lighter gray, which is over a near blue. Is that okay? I'd really prefer not to frak this up, but I'm very curious to try this out.

Also, any tips for making a base?

Thanks,

Guy
Best,

Guy
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

By flat brush I mean something like this:

http://www.dickblick.com/brushshapes/one-stroke/

As to a mix for the new Galactica I'd ask in the BSG forum. I am not an expert in what is the right colors to use.
- Benjamin Franklin

- Dogbert

- Dilbert
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I like the angular and filbert-shaped brushes for drybrushing, too. You will want to use very soft brushes for this. Usually I use older brushes for drybrushing, after they've been retired from regular use. Increasingly, though, I've been buying sable brushes expressly for the drybrushing.

http://www.dickblick.com/info/brushshape/
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati