Best casting material

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

kugar13

Best casting material

Post by kugar13 »

Hey guys!

I'm working on a big project where a buddy is making scratch built models we want to make duplicates of. The models are for a short film we're working on. I was wondering, in your expert opinion, what material I should make the duplicates. I assumed I would be casting them in resin, but that may not be the best material for the job. I'm looking for something cheap and somewhat durable. They are going to be airbrushed, so the color of the positive cast isn't important. They are going to be supported by chroma color green (key green) rods with joints for rotation (tilt, yawn, etc).

The project is going to be very expensive, so I'm looking to cut corners where it 'may' be acceptable. What it the most cost effective material to cast the models? They will be cast in multiple parts. We don't plan to put them through any physical damage. All visual effects (blaster fire, engines, etc) will be done with After Effects post production software.

If you need more details let me know.

Thank you!
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

There are a lot of variables to consider, and I can't remember all the aspects of your project you were describing in the earlier threads. I'd suggest you arm yourself with a 40% coupon, head to Hobby Lobby, a grab an Alumilite resin package. I think that's about as cheap as you'll be able to get a quality resin without buying gallon-sized containers.

Have you figured out the amount of rubber you'll be needing for the molds? That's where your real cost lies, and there are ways to minimize the amount of rubber you actually have to use.
kugar13

Thanks man!

Post by kugar13 »

*Looking for a 40% off coupon for Hobby Lobby* LOL

The scratchbuilt models are not finished yet. I'm going to weigh, measure, and photograph them once they are done.

Thanks!
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Sign up for their email list at www.hobbylobby.com and you'll get the weekly specials and coupon each Sunday. 40% coupons come about every other week-- this week's coupon was for something that didn't interest me at all, but the 40% should come again next week. Models are 30% off this week, though :)
kugar13

Kewl!

Post by kugar13 »

Woah! That is super cool! Thanks for letting me in on that! I could live in Hobby Lobby all day! I have so many creative interests it's hard to keep up with the expense!

Thanks for the help. Once the short is finished I'll post a link here for you guys to see.

Thanks again!