Matte/Gloss/...Future?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Gauge

Matte/Gloss/...Future?

Post by Gauge »

Hey
Ive just finished putting together a Screamin' 1/6 Vader. I completely painted him in flat black. Now, I need put paint the "glossy" parts. Do I need to go over those parts in a gloss black or could I just brush Future over them? Which direction would look better?

Thanks in advance.

G.
"There's only ONE ~'Return'~,.. and its NOT ~'Of The King'~... its ~'Of The Jedi'~.
Confucius 479 B.C.E
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

In my experience black is one of the few paints that, if it's flat going on, looks a little funny (grayish or even silvery) if you try to gloss it up with a clear layer. I'm sure it depends on the paint, but I'd go with a gloss black and even if you have to sand it, using gloss clear over that will look better than clear over flat.

-Rog

EDIT: Just to clarify: this is probably because of the stuff they add to flat paint to make it flat, which makes it refract light differently than gloss paint, even if you sand it.
Gauge

Post by Gauge »

Sweeet.

I applied a thin layer of gloss black on the armor parts that need it and it looks great.
Thanks Rog.

G.
"There's only ONE ~'Return'~,.. and its NOT ~'Of The King'~... its ~'Of The Jedi'~.
Confucius 479 B.C.E