Need some help: smoke and sparks from my 555 chip... oi.

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

No_6

Need some help: smoke and sparks from my 555 chip... oi.

Post by No_6 »

I followed the instructions on this page: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/2072/proj2.htm

The LED I hooked up lit, but did not blink. I ran 5v to the chip, and within a second had smoke and popping sounds coming from it.

Clearly I did something wrong. Well, lots of stuff.

Here's what I did:
I did NOT use a circuitboard, instead 'extending' the pins by soldering an inch of wire to each.
I connected the power directly to the #8 and #4 pins. I connected the resistors to the ends of the wires I soldered on (one all the way to the outside of the #8 and #7 wires, and the resitor to #7 and #6 inboard of that). The capacitor was wired inboard both resistors. I hooked the + lead of the LED to the #3 and put another resistor between the - lead and the ground #1 pin. I taped the pins to make sure that none of them were touching despite the solder and extra wire.

Anyone have any ideas why it fried?

I could take a picture, but it really is a mess. I did it this way because my circuitboards haven't arrived yet and I wanted to see if I could follow basic instructions. Clearly I can't.

So when I do get my boards in, I'm hoping not to fry everything. I have a bunch of 4060 chips ready to go. I may order a bunch of 555s as well for their smaller size.
I am not a number.
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

Are you sure that you didn't have the positive and negative power supply connections reversed?
No_6

Post by No_6 »

I'm not positive. The chip didn't have the little cut-out, so I had to guess from the orientation of the printing. That's what I get for buying Radio Shack...
I am not a number.
Thrusterhead Jones

Post by Thrusterhead Jones »

Its possible that you had leads or wires touching (shorting). Fortunately 555 chips are dirt cheap. And if you insist on buying from Radio Schmuck get yourself a solderless breadboard on which you can build you circuit, modify it, and smoke check it before you goe through the hassle of building the real thing and watching it fail the first time you power it up.

Also, if your power supply doesn't have one, install an in-line fuse.
When better multistators are built, they'll be built by Thetatronic Overdrive.
A dvision of Orion Astromotive, Inc.
No_6

Post by No_6 »

Cool, thanks. Breadboards are on the way as are 10 555 chips. I do like how they are half the size of the 4060, and as space is now at a premium in my primary hull...
I am not a number.
Thrusterhead Jones

Breadboards

Post by Thrusterhead Jones »

The breadboard I was refering to is the white plastic type where you plug in your parts and jumper wires to test your circuit. Not intended for actual use in your model.

You want to use in you model is the fiberglass type with the grid pattern of .10 spaced holes, copper pads and power/ground traces.
When better multistators are built, they'll be built by Thetatronic Overdrive.
A dvision of Orion Astromotive, Inc.
No_6

Post by No_6 »

Ahhhhh! I'll have to order one of those.

Ordered. Probably be here in three weeks. It's coming from Hong Kong.
Last edited by No_6 on Thu May 07, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a number.
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

No_6 wrote:Ahhhhh! I'll have to order one of those.
Picture of what one looks like with components on it for reference

Bussard Test
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
No_6

Post by No_6 »

That makes my head hurt... thanks for the pic!

You wouldn't have a pic for just the Nav lights, would you?
I am not a number.
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

No_6 wrote:That makes my head hurt... thanks for the pic!

You wouldn't have a pic for just the Nav lights, would you?
Unfortunately not - didn't take a shot of the breadboard when I was testing the Nav Beacons
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog