Primer panel lines

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

galaxy_jason

Primer panel lines

Post by galaxy_jason »

I've seen several people using thin tape to make panel lines, lay it down, spray with primer then remove the tape.

Should the primer be completely dry, tacky, wet?

Anyone have experience with this?
--
-Jason Ware

---------------------------------------------------------
VISIT MY ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY HOMEPAGE!!
ASTRO IMAGES FOR DOWN-LOAD, PRINTS
http://www.galaxyphoto.com
---------------------------------------------------------
My Other Hobby....High Power Rocketry
http://www.galaxyphoto.com/rockets.htm
walter

Post by walter »

I am going to try that and see how it works.
macfrank

Re: Primer panel lines

Post by macfrank »

galaxy_jason wrote:I've seen several people using thin tape to make panel lines, lay it down, spray with primer then remove the tape.

Should the primer be completely dry, tacky, wet?

Anyone have experience with this?
The tape will cause a depression or step, depending on how you mask it. The primer should always be dry and fully cured.

The canopy and windscreen on this plane are vacuformed copies of the unusable kit canopy. After I made a copy, I masked off the clear sections, leaving teh frames exposed and shot the plane with primer (several times, but that was because of the kit).
The canopy itself is loose, but you can see the frames. The lower edges are rough because some paint got under the edge of the mask.
walter

Post by walter »

I tried it and it works good, the one problem i had was the blue tape i used did not want to stick when it was cut to a very thin strip . try using reguler masking tape.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Get some darfting tape. It comes in all kinds of widths, and is flexible to do some pretty tight curves. And, it will all be the same width. :)
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Matt2893

Post by Matt2893 »

This got me thinking...
For smaller scale stuff would there be a way to use thread or would it just be too small?
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Duct tape can be separated into strands - they've already got the adhesive on. I've seen a guy do pinstripes on a the suit of a 125mm model of Chruchill using this and it really worked.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson