Photon Torpedo circuit

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Boonblade

Photon Torpedo circuit

Post by Boonblade »

Hi, I've been searching for sometime now for a cheap circuit that simulates firing a photon torpedo effect.

I've looked through the threads and wouldn't be surprised if others people are in the same boat, with round 2's 1/350th re-release.

I don't want to go down the PIC's route as I have a basic grasp of simple circuits, and it must be fairly easy to reproduce with 555, 556 and 4017 counters perhaps?

Did virtualight have a schematic? if anyone has it could they send it to me please?

I've looked at the VFX and space circuits option butthey are both way too expensive.

I did find the following clip, so it must be possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9iKrJBhUHo

Also would be happy to pay for a deflector dish fader circuit that goes from amber to blue - little yoda bought one not long ago for his refit project.

lastly, so I don't look like a total freeloader for anyone wanting a really cheap way of simulating the rcs thrusters for either the enterprise or a starfury use the following circuit and just change the capacitor to a 4.7uf and the 47K resistor to a 100K preset - so you can slow the whole thing down and get the leds to stay on for longer - not bad for £6!

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/projects/random.htm
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

That's one of the best general purpose electronics sites - good information on the 4XXX family of CMOS IC's and lots of schematics!

Here's a thread that covers this topic - viewtopic.php?t=56203&highlight=photon+torpedo
tetsujin

Re: Photon Torpedo circuit

Post by tetsujin »

Boonblade wrote:Hi, I've been searching for sometime now for a cheap circuit that simulates firing a photon torpedo effect.

I don't want to go down the PIC's route as I have a basic grasp of simple circuits, and it must be fairly easy to reproduce with 555, 556 and 4017 counters perhaps?
I am a big fan of PICs but sometimes as you suggest the simple solution is best... (Well, sometimes PICs are the "simple solution" - but in this case it seems like a problem very easy to solve with discrete components...)
I did find the following clip, so it must be possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9iKrJBhUHo
The description text with that video contains a link to the schematic he used. Wouldn't that work?
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.
Boonblade

Post by Boonblade »

I've had a look at that and it should work, I'm just wondering if I could incorporate a single flash white LED using a 555, to come on just as the red turns off?

This is probably a really stupid question but for the benefit of us complete amateurs - the circuit runs off 5V how would I incorporate it into a set up that is based on 9 or 12v?

Cheers