Equiptment Advice For an Airbrush Beginner

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

enter

Equiptment Advice For an Airbrush Beginner

Post by enter »

Hi guys, long time lurker here and love the foums. Ive decided to take the plunge into the airbrush arena, and Id like if someone can offer some info to let me know if Im on the right track with the equiptment Ive picked out below.

Basically Ive collected and finished all the Star Trek Bandai Sets (beginner stuff I know, but I wanted to get the model making correct before I needed to paint), and now Im looking to expand into some of the bigger scale ships. I have good knowledge of electronics, and I've refit the Bandai NX01 with a custom led circuit, doing away with the failry poor in-set lighting bulbs. I plan on doing this with the rest of the Bandai line-up. But anyway as I was saying, the bigger ships are not prepainted as we know, and Im eager to get my teeth into something more challenging.

Here is my list of equiptment to start the ball rolling;

Compressor: http://www.simple2trade.com/prod5.asp?I ... rod_anchor

Airbrush: http://www.simple2trade.com/prod7.asp?I ... rod_anchor

Hosing: http://www.simple2trade.com/prod7.asp?I ... rod_anchor

I plan on doinf from the PL Ent/D7 1:1000 up the the PL Refit 1:350, so Im hoping this airbrush is versatile enough. Afaik the brush has interchangeable pin/nozzles where I can get .5mm range, although I cant see this on the site. Any advice would be greatly welcome.....

Ps - I realise some of the equiptment may seem a bit overkill for a beginner, but I intend on sticking with this, and not having to buy better gear after Ive gotten proficient with the technique
"You thought you got lucky...but it turns out the whole time you had your hand in warm compost" - Dave Lister, circa 3 Million years from now.
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

I've said it before, you can't go wrong with an Iwata :D
I'd probably go with the 3.5mm needle to get you a finer line than the 5mm will allow. General coverage won't be a problem, just pull the brush away from the model a little further, and add a little more pressure. It will give you a very smooth and even pattern.

I'm not familiar with that particular air compressor, but it looks almost identical to the Paasche D3000 that I use. Plus it comes with a moisture trap directly on the outlet of the tank.

Looks good. Don't be afraid to ask questions. And Practice, practice, practice!
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Welcome to the forum!!

I would say you have made a wise decision. I don't know much about the compressor but it is warrantied, so make sure you register it. I went from a Paasche VLS, to a Badger 155 to an Iwata HP-CH. I still use the Badger and Iwata for different things.

That Iwata will last you forever. I don't know if that model comes with a cap, so you may want to fashion a cap from a marker cap or something. This will save you a lot of money in that the thing most people do - including most seasoned users(meaning me ;) )- is they poke themselves in the finger with the needle and tip, or bang them on the bench when picking it up to get started or put it away. The needle, tip, and nozzle cap are the three things damaged most often.

Also, if you DO bend a needle, don't try to use the tip to straighten it. Otherwise, you'll be replacing both. ;)

Get yourself some teflon tape to use in connecting the regulator to the compressor, the hose to the regulator, and the airbrush to the hose. Make sure you clear each connection's aperture of tape debris. Once all connections are cinched tight, apply just a drop of super glue around the collar of each connection with a straight pin. Just apply a bit, as you just want that extra bit of sealant, but you still want to be able to unscrew things.

Finally, pick up one of those small crescent wrenches and small locking pliers. Each is just a couple of bucks. Keep those, some fuzzy pipecleaners (for cleaning, of course) and the teflon tape in your airbrush tool kit. Specifics on cleaning can be found in this section of the forum, but in a nutshell, use Windex or Superclean for acrylics and mineral spirits for enamels; lacquer thinner can be used sparingly as long as you don't soak the brush in it. The airbrush has teflon bearings inside and the lacquer thinner may cause them to degrade. Clean between colors, before putting the airbrush down, and always, always between media types. NEVER LET ANYTHING DRY IN IT. :8)

I hope this helps. Back to bed for me.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
enter

Post by enter »

Thanks very much guys, I really appreciate the input. Ive a load of questions to ask, but Ill broach them topic by topic and try keep things as clear as possible. I think Ill go ahead and order the equiptment so.

With regards the compressor, from what Ive read its a lot better to have a tank and not to spray direct from compressor to brush. Im kinda limited in what I can buy locally (Ireland - dont get me started), and I cant find an Iwata compressor/tank combo thats a dual cylinder. So Ill go out on a limb and try the above one.

So thats the equiptment out of the way more or less - Ill make the order and report back in a couple of days. Thanks again guys.

Paul
"You thought you got lucky...but it turns out the whole time you had your hand in warm compost" - Dave Lister, circa 3 Million years from now.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

It looks good to me. With an inline tank you ave little worry about pulsing (air pressure rising and falling as the compressor spurt out air) so the only other issues are a moisture trap to keep things dry, an accurate pressure gauge, which it looks like the compressor has both and how noisy it is. 59db isn't silent but it's quieter than my little compressor.

I also endorse Iwata.
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

The eclipse is a good choice. Print Zombe's advice and tape it above your workstation.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
modeler1964

Post by modeler1964 »

I too bought the Iwata HP-CS. It is my first brush and I wanted a double action to learn on and have more control. It breaks down easy for cleaning and performs great. I am very happy with it. I have sprayed acrylics and laquers with no problems at all. You will be very happy with that choice!