Will there be a new flasher for the up-coming NuEnterprise?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

MillenniumFalsehood

Will there be a new flasher for the up-coming NuEnterprise?

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Anyone who watched the new Trek movie probably noticed that, unlike every Federation vessel which preceded it, the new Enterprise-Nil had a double-flash for its position markers. So will someone take up the necessity for a flasher for the up-coming Round 2 1:2500 NuEnterprise kit?
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

Dad and I went to see the new movie not long after we had been working on the lights for my Defiant model. THAT was one of the FIRST things he mentioned during the film.

"Ah-HA, and you thought you had the lighting all figured out didn't ya..."
Good Times :D
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

I did that a long time ago. It wasn't particularly hard.
MillenniumFalsehood

So . . . you gonna tell us the big sekrit? Maybe link to a PDF?

Pretty please? :oops:

jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

No big secret ... if you understand PIC programming language. There are subjects in science fiction and also the real world that use double and/or triple strobes.
MillenniumFalsehood

Figures . . . a PIC job. :roll:

I know they'd be super-easy, but for some reason I have apprehension regarding PICs. Any easy way to do it with solid-state CMOS chips?

jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

Possible, yes. Easy - that depends on your definition of easy. Right off hand, without having drawn out a schematic, I'd say that it will take 3 chips (a 555, a counter, and a divider) and a transistor. (A CMOS chip will never drive more than one led per output at full current.)
Often wrong Soong

Post by Often wrong Soong »

Gonna have to give myself a crach course in PIC's, seems like they're FAR easier to use once you're over the learning curve
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

I think so. But then I've been programming them for a while. It doesn't hurt that the average one that you will use for this sort of thing only has around 35 instructions (and you will only use a third of them). I do some extremely complicated things with them. For examples, see the VoodooFX website. I design and program most of his lighting effects (we are just now finishing up a new one.)
JIC, I will see about drawing up a schematic for those comfortable with older technology.
MillenniumFalsehood

Thanks, jwjr. :)

en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

I've been using the 4060 chip for double blinking beacons for years. One chip, one cap, one resistor. Also quad blinks, and others. (Just make sure you do NOT get teeny tiny surface mount chips, use 'through hole' ones, much easier to work with.) The "Heart Sizzle" is a double strobe blink - among other things.

Here's a batch of How Tooo's on the 4060:
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/mecha/cj_cpd.htm - DORVAK
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/cj_blink.htm - Uberblinker
http://www.kc6sye.com/images/circuits/4 ... w_tooo.jpg
http://www.kc6sye.com/images/circuits/4060_how_tooo.jpg
http://www.kc6sye.com/images/circuits/4 ... how_to.jpg

and your friend, the reusable breadboard:

http://www.kc6sye.com/images/circuits/Bread_board.jpg
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

The schematic is done, but I want to check it over after a while to make sure that there are no errors. It took a little doing to make sure that the parts are all commonly available.
Often wrong Soong

jwrjr wrote:I think so. But then I've been programming them for a while. It doesn't hurt that the average one that you will use for this sort of thing only has around 35 instructions (and you will only use a third of them). I do some extremely complicated things with them. For examples, see the VoodooFX website. I design and program most of his lighting effects (we are just now finishing up a new one.)
JIC, I will see about drawing up a schematic for those comfortable with older technology.
Hi JWRJR, could you point me in the direction of any good online how-to's or 'introduction to PIC programming' type sites? I'm getting more and more inclined to learn about these little dudes but not sure where a good jumping in point would be?
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

Well I can do one too. :D

I have seen the movie but havent reviewed the lighting effect in detail, yet. Sounds like I better see it again with a notebook in hand.

If people want a lighting effect for NuEnt, all I have to do is change a few entries in a data table and I'm done. I've already thought about a blue tinted spinner effect for NuEnterprise Warp Engines. Take one of my Delux Spinners and attach blue LEDs instead of red and yellow and I'm done again.

AND!.. (but wait theres more) I've got a lighting kit in the works for the Revelle-Germany Republic Star Destroyer. Here's a photobucket shot of the prototype: http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt11 ... 0_1494.jpg

and I may yet release a power supply kit that would power all my kits, up to three cards at a time.

I'm trying to come out with a complete line of plug n play lighting systems that all work together so you guys can get any effect you want.

Thanks!!

-John C.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

The schematic is ready. Unless there is a way that I can post it here, send me an email address and I will send the PDF.
Often wrong Soong

jwrjr wrote:The schematic is ready. Unless there is a way that I can post it here, send me an email address and I will send the PDF.
Any chance I could have a copy of the schematic?? I'll PM you just in case :D
jwrjr

Post by jwrjr »

No problem. Check your Inbox. I made sure that the parts would be readily available before I used them.